Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do i stop dd2 licking things (and people?)

(10 Posts)
misdee Tue 16-May-06 20:13:28

especially glass/metal counters in shops. railings, etc.

misdee Tue 16-May-06 22:29:09

please someone. i am getting good at mumbling sorry and dragging her off.

SparklyGothKat Tue 16-May-06 22:30:04

put a muzzle on her...

ONLY JOKING!!!!

Thomcat Tue 16-May-06 22:34:44

Give her an alternative. When she licks say 'no don't lick darling, stroke it instead (r whatever you choose to subsitute licking with), look like this' and then crack up laughing so she thinks the alternative is fab. ??????????????????????

misdee Wed 17-May-06 14:48:05

will try that one thomcat. thanks.

Blossomhill Wed 17-May-06 16:04:05

Just to let you know misdee it is a sensory thing. Especially the metal licking.

My dd does this sometimes and I tend to just pull her away but I know what you mean about being embarrasing!

SparklyGothKat Wed 17-May-06 16:05:50

didn't you like my joke...???

misdee Wed 17-May-06 16:06:15

i sorta guessed it was. she went to pre-school soaked this morning after licking the soaking wet railings at dd1 school.

she rubbed her face down the corridor to transplant unit at the hospital, so last week i walked along it qith her letting my fingers run along the wall as we walked. it makes you fingers go tingly due to its texture, so i think i know why she likes it so much.

misdee Wed 17-May-06 16:06:44

was very funny sparkly lol. if yu can find one to fit..........

MrsEff Thu 18-May-06 09:57:44

Tom (12) still 'mouths' anything within reach...apparently 'primitive reflex'..as baby would do- linked to sensory need to explore..i dunno really what to suggest...i suppose i 'divert' him from the inappropriate object to a more suitable one...easier for me as it is nolonger people he licks!
when he was 5 he kissed everyone- so we 'banned' kissing...licking then replaced it...then 'mouthing' everything. that's the one we are stuck at now.
mine have nevr chewed sleeves as many kids do...but my younger 2 bite buttons/chew collars.

misdee...i wish i could be more helpful...but tom at 12 cannot be trusted using anyone elses property (gameboys,t.v remotes,computer mouses,pens even books-all end up in mouth. )
when younger he upset many 'friends ' when he chewed the wheels off their toy cars- or 'ate' their pokemon trading cards.

tom has been reffered for occupational therapy at last for this reason amongst others... as finally agreed that at age 12...is now becoming a problem that is not improving.

i will follow this thread to see if anyone has any ideas that i can try too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: