Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

11 weeks and 6 days after starting the new school, I have finally had the courage to...

(9 Posts)
lougle Wed 24-Apr-13 14:06:23

...speak to the SENCO about DD2.

I phoned audiology to make sure that DD2 was referred. They said that she missed an appointment on 9th April shock but they kindly rearranged as we didn't get the letter.

I then spoke to SALT, who said that we wouldn't see the SALT because it's all through school, so I needed to speak to the SENCO (something that I wanted to avoid through fear of being labelled neurotic after our last experience).

So...I phoned the school, asked to speak to the SENCO. I was meant to simply enquire as to whether I could speak to the SALT after she'd seen DD2. Instead, she asked me how she was referred and why? I ended up pouring out all our concerns.

She was interested and said that she could see why I was so concerned, and would like copies of 'everything I have' on DD2 shock

She's taking me seriously! And, she sent an email chasing the SALT while I was on the phone to her.

PolterGoose Wed 24-Apr-13 14:11:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ruggles Wed 24-Apr-13 14:16:42

Lougle - don't know all the history but it all sounds very positive - how lovely to have a receptive, positive ear. I know what you mean about plucking up courage !

lougle Wed 24-Apr-13 14:28:34

DD2 is doing...well she seems fine confused I missed school reports because she'd only been there a month, so the teacher didn't do one, and every time I ask, I'm told she's 'fine'.

DD2 herself comes out with many stories about changing phonics group (they use Ruth Miskin's RWI) and her perception of it is different to the reality grin.

For instances, she told me last week that 'only me and x are in my new phonics group'. So, DH and I are thinking 'ok, she's having SEN intervention?' Just 2 in a phonics group.... On closer questioning, it turns out that it's 'only me and x from our class in the phonics group.' grin

Socially, she seems much, much happier.

I can't believe that I heard the words 'I can see why you're concerned.'

NoHaudinMaWheest Wed 24-Apr-13 15:27:49

That sounds great Lougle. I hope she continues to follow things up.

bizzey Wed 24-Apr-13 20:26:39

Oh good luck lougle !! Hope it all progresses as you want it to !

MareeyaDolores Wed 24-Apr-13 21:39:34

I had social tea and chat with a senco (not ours wink) recently. There are some very sensible folk about.

Handywoman Wed 24-Apr-13 22:28:13

That sounds really positive, Lougle. Good to hear.

lougle Thu 25-Apr-13 06:52:29

Who knows where it will lead, tbh. Just the very fact that she was willing to listen, could understand why I was concerned and could understand why I think her teacher may not pick it up, without thinking that I'm being critical, was so reassuring and refreshing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now