Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

evidence based education

(9 Posts)
AnotherAlias Wed 24-Apr-13 09:11:30

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/building-evidence-into-education

haven't read it yet - (temporarily gave up hunting for the link which in reality is probably just under me nose) but wonder if it will cover evidence based SEN intervention/support

Similar question about this initiative - (or whether talking to plants features ;)) http://www.princes-ti.org.uk/AboutUs/ - I put special needs, SEN into the searchbox and nada - but I think It is only newly launched...

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 24-Apr-13 11:24:14

Is that Princes thing to do with the government endorsed Project Management process?

I got my Prince II qualification. God it was grim.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 24-Apr-13 11:24:35

And, - who are you?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 24-Apr-13 11:25:25

Opps. MNHQ have told me off for that. Apparently not very welcoming if you are new.

What I meant to say was 'Are you a regular who has name-changed?'

PolterGoose Wed 24-Apr-13 11:44:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnotherAlias Wed 24-Apr-13 13:34:30

hello Starlight - sorry I thought I did the [[ ]] thing - but obviously not in the right way....

I've been round since 2008-ish when DS was diagnosed with HFA - though DD has had her moments as well though she isn't diagnosed with anything.
At the moment if I click "I'm on" 12 discussions come up and "I started" another 10...

I've pm'd you [part] of my nickname history - I looking through it I do seem to have been quite prolific with the sudden name changes -and I do tend to be quite a closed person in real life as well - so sorry I've been a bit elusive online as well. I tend to be very active when DS is being high maintenance and tend to drift off and think about the hobbies I USED to have if he is relatively trouble free.

I'm based in North West London - DS has diagnosis of "Autism" - but it could just as well have been called HFA or Aspergers
He is a ridiculously fussy eater - so I have been one of the people trying out the 'blob' thing...I've also posted recently about the dreaded SATs.

The reason I posted these links was I "thought" there had been various discussions where people were concerned about SEN support not being evidence-based - and where there is discussion of evidence, there is an over-reliance on Randomised Controlled Trials - which aren't really appropriate for testing interventions such as ABA. (I lurk on posts about clever things like ABA as I think I'd just sound silly throwing in my tuppence worth compared with experts like Moondog and others who really know what they are talking about). SO my thought process was if the world of education was suddenly getting excited about evidence.... I was wondering if there was any chance for SEN interventions getting the same treatment ?
Same on the SEN reforms / Child and Families bill - watching closely - but nothing to add to teh sterling work being done by ppl like IE - apart from writing to MP (I also emailed Dept of Ed at one point)

The 'prince' is prince of wales - you've probs all lost the will to live now - sorry

AnotherAlias Wed 24-Apr-13 13:36:00

Blame polter that I'm back again ..;)

www.princes-ti.org.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/building-evidence-into-education

MareeyaDolores Wed 24-Apr-13 14:35:49

Hiya AA

Don't just lurk on the ABA threads, come and talk RCT v qualitative research methods, I need someone to be geeky about sample sizes with wink

MareeyaDolores Thu 25-Apr-13 01:47:03

Seen this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now