Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

NAS free school - what are your views? Would you choose a school that hasn't been built yet?

(4 Posts)
Icedcakeandflower Tue 23-Apr-13 11:43:49

I'm appealing Part 4 of ds' statement and will be asking for indy SS.

However I've been reading about the new NAS free school which will open in Sep 2013. Would I be taking an almighty risk if I choose this school instead, given that it hasn't been built yet?

The pros are, I guess:
It's free so prob less of a battle with the LA to get in
NAS should in theory know what they're doing

The cons:
I haven't seen it yet!

Does anyone have any experience of any NAS schools?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Apr-13 12:53:55

What is it about the NAS education that appeals to you?

How much influence will the NAS have and do you agree with that influence? Or are they just rubber-stamping LA provision?

What is the experience of the staff and what therapy will they have available on-site or visiting?

bjkmummy Tue 23-Apr-13 13:27:25

The actual cost of the placement won't be free. The LA will still have to pay for the school place for each child they place there, the costs may be less than other schools but there will still be a cost. You need to know what I site therapy they will have or will it be the usual NHS providing it. I nearly sent mine to a free asd school but at the last minute they said they could not meet his needs so we are now at an independent school.

joencaitlinsmum Wed 24-Apr-13 14:56:51

I assume you are talking about the Thames Valley Free school in Tilehurst, Reading?

Its not free to get in it just means its "free" of LEA intervention in the terms of how it sets its curriculum and spends its funding.

There is quite a lot of information about it on the NAS website http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/education-and-schools/new%20developments/thames-valley-free-school-reading/school-curriculum.aspx

Why dont you contact them to ask about facilities etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now