Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I need to slow down

(4 Posts)
jogalong Mon 22-Apr-13 18:29:22

Ds is currently being assessed for asd. He is 3.5. Iv been running around like a lunatic driving myself crazy reading, researching, tryin to get extra appointments. Wondering should we supplement with private therapy etc....
And basically i completely caved in last week. I cried for about three days solid. Now i realise i need to slow down and accept what i have. I felt that maybe if i pushed appointments and read everything i could then maybe i could cure him and get rid of this autisim.
Now i realise that is not going to happen. The only thing will happen is me collapsing with the stress. So iv decided to try and relay, let the professionals do their job and only time will really tell how he will be in the future.
I can help him but i just can't cure him:-(

PolterGoose Mon 22-Apr-13 18:38:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ouryve Mon 22-Apr-13 18:41:43

I think the only appropriate thing at the moment is an encouraging hug. And either a brew or wine. Or both.

When you've worked out what these professionals do or don't have to say, and digested all that, then you should have a clearer head and a better idea of what, if any, private provision you want to look into.

Is he getting any support at nursery?

PrinceRogersNelson Mon 22-Apr-13 18:59:33

I think there definitely needs to be a balance between trying to 'fix things' and accepting your child for who they are.

You will find there are times when you can push forward a bit more and try new things and there are other times when you need to stop and live the life you have and enjoy your DC for who they are.

It sounds like at the moment you could do with a bit of a break from it all and take stock.

Hope you feel better soon smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: