Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to teach stranger danger?

(5 Posts)
marchduck Sun 21-Apr-13 20:51:20

This has been on my mind for a while, is there any way to teach it in very basic terms?
DD is 4.3, I am trying to work on her responding to simple questions; sometimes she will, more often she won't!
She has no concept of the idea of strangers, let alone stranger danger. I am flummoxed about how to try to introduce this subject, given that I've been trying to encourage her to engage with other people - totally mixed message?
She is always supervised at home and at her brilliant pre-school. I'm conscious though that she will be starting primary in September and whilst school has locked door etc; I feel less in control, if that makes sense. Any advice very much appreciated

zzzzz Sun 21-Apr-13 21:39:41

What are you worried about? Abduction? Sexual abuse? Bullying?

I think you need to focus in on what you are protecting from and go with that.

marchduck Sun 21-Apr-13 22:03:41

Thanks zzzzz, and I get what you are saying about focusing on the intention causing the worry, that makes sense.
i guess what I'm really worried about is her getting lost; without having the capacity to tell anyone that she's lost. I had bought her an engraved dog-tag bracelet with my contact details to wear, in her favourite colour, but she won't wear it.

zzzzz Sun 21-Apr-13 22:15:22

Ok, I teach mine that if they are lost in a shop they must go to the lady/man at the checkout and tell them "I am lost", I put an envelope in their pockets with name/address etc on and I write my mobile number on their hands when out and about.

If they are lost outside a shop then they must tell "a mummy with a pushchair" or a "granny". My feeling is women with children and older women are more likely to deal with a lost child sensibly (ie not let them wonder off again and ask them age appropriate questions). My personal nightmare is them approaching a group of daft teenagers.

marchduck Sun 21-Apr-13 22:43:49

zzzzz, that's a great idea about the mobile number written on hand; I will be doing that - thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now