Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd very anxious please help.

(7 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 01:13:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 01:15:14

Badvoc Sun 21-Apr-13 07:05:15

Sorry, but I would say that if she is wetting the bed and crying that she is not ok whist at school sad
What do school,have on place to help her?
Does she have a trusted person she can go to when upset?
Why did she go to the disco if she doesn't like them?

buildingmycorestrength Sun 21-Apr-13 08:29:38

Am keen to hear suggestions as my son (poss Aspergers) also gets extremely anxious about the unknown, and my daughter (NR) can work herself up too.

One thing that has worked in the past is practising at home. This was suggested by a teacher and has worked for both kids.

So if they have a dress up day, we practice dressing up and do a pretend drop off. They do don't want to do it, but I always say, 'Its just a practice!' and insist. It usually deteriorates into silliness and takes the tension out of it.

PolterGoose Sun 21-Apr-13 09:00:29

AnotherAlias Sun 21-Apr-13 09:52:46

Don't remind me of bloomin' Victorian day [or week in my ds case]

Girls may be different, but my DS's first reaction is to refuse to try anything new - I always try and force/ persuade him to participate to some extent - but you need the teacher to understand and accept that just getting there is a big deal - and allow them to attend on that basis and opt out of things that are too hideous - or be sent on an "errand" when things are getting too much. I think it is much better for their confidence /self esteem than opting out. But that is based on knowing that my ds can achieve more if he does grit his teeth and give things a 'go'. Also I think sometimes excusing an anxious child from an activity instead of supporting them to participate is the easy option for the teacher/school.
A residential trip in y5 is a BIG ask though and I wouldn't force my worst enemy to go to a disco! I'd definitely be asking the school what they are doing about including her - and keep on at them about the bullying too!

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 11:17:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now