Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Camp Sites for ASD children?

(7 Posts)
Starxx Fri 19-Apr-13 12:57:57

Someone said there were some around, anyone know where?

Our son is 7 (almost 8) and we started camping when he was 5 and we all love it but last year we only went once and we ended up coming home early because his behaviour was just terrible and Im actually concerned about doing it again....in fact I cant see us doing it at all this year sad(

If there were sites we could take him where people didnt care about behaviour like that cos they are all the same that would be great smile

Any info greatly appreciated.

Star xx

gybegirl Fri 19-Apr-13 13:29:03

I honestly don't know if this would be suitable, it's in Northern Ireland. It may be worth a look or a phone call. They get good reviews on trip advisor.

www.sharevillage.org

rocket74 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:08:54

I don't know specifics but on this link are lots of suggestions of holiday venues - maybe some campsites?

www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/out-and-about/holidays-and-days-out/holidays-autism-friendly-venues.aspx

We have been twice 'glamping' to jollydays in Yorkshire and the tents are so far apart really no one was even really aware of DS's ASD apart from the fact he spent 2 whole days running up and down a really big puddle.
Really lovely site with woodburning stoves etc. admit more expensive than camping but fantastic.

rocket74 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:11:27

www.jollydaysluxurycamping.co.uk/

link for above

PolterGoose Fri 19-Apr-13 22:49:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

auntevil Sat 20-Apr-13 10:50:28

We have been to Beekse Bergen in holland (no poem, I promise grin )
Although my DSs don't have ASD, I know that there are groups that go there.
There are chalets there, they call jungalows, and per set up camping. You can get quite good cheap deals at the end of school holidays when the rest of Europe have gone back.
What I liked was that the entertainment and facilities are included. They have a zoo, a safari park, free boat trips across the lake, free train around the whole extensive site, an entertainment park with some rides, go karting, mini golf, trampolining, riding ponies, lots of play areas. There is also a local swimming pool with outside, inside, flumes, 2 person rubber tyre flume, swimming in a lit cave structure , wave systems - all very sensory' and a straightforward pool.
You can go as many times as you like, so if things get a little tense, you can leave, go back to tent, then return the next day or later. You can also go around on the train for half a day or so and no one minds at all. All very laid back.

Starxx Wed 24-Apr-13 13:22:12

Thanks all, will check them all out :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now