Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statementing - parent statement......what do they want ?

(10 Posts)
TICKLETUMBLE Fri 19-Apr-13 10:57:11

School are pushing for a statement and we need to give a parent statement in support of this.....what kind of thing do we need to include?

DS has been referred to investigate sensory issues, social and emotional development delay and possible ADHD.....first appointment with Paed next month, so don't have dx or many reports apart from EP who recommended a statement.

Help much appreciated smile

TICKLETUMBLE Wed 24-Apr-13 10:33:34

BUNP.....still need some guidance if anyone can help?
I dont knowif i should be telling them what help I think he needs or just pointing out the problems he has that need support, or just saying I support the school.

OneInEight Wed 24-Apr-13 10:53:10

Hi, the LA has recently agreed to complete statutory assessment on my ten-year olds.

In my statement (7 pages) I put in the following things

1. Brief summary of why we were asking for statement
2. List of professionals involved with the boys including addresses and telephone numbers
3. List of the childs difficulties and strengths. For each difficulty I gave an example or two of where he struggled. I also included some positive things although this was shorter.
4. Academic progress. Listed their SATS levels in each year and pointed out decline in progress where appropriate.
5. A detailed account of school history before and after problems appeared.
6. Diary of behaviour over last eighteen months which is the period we have had major problems.
7. Medical history - account of who we have seen and their conclusions
8. A list of support offered under school action plus and for each intervention the extent to which it did or did not help (mainly did not!).

In addition I sent in copies of any medical reports and school records I could lay my hands on./ My sons problems are social communication and behaviour so for example I photocopied the home-school behaviour book which highlighted the smaller incidents as well as the school behaviour log which just had the major incidents. We requested the school records so we could do this and to make sure we and school were telling the same story.

I did a separate one for each child although some bits were very similar as I did copy and paste!

Hope this helps.

OneInEight Wed 24-Apr-13 10:55:45

Missed one thing:

A list of things that might help - I think I put 12 different ideas picked up mainly from reading this forum. Some large and some small.

TICKLETUMBLE Wed 24-Apr-13 13:23:57

Thank you!
That is incredibly helpful.
As school are making the application they are supplying all the school related evidnce that they have been gathering, but I supopse Ishould ask for a copy of their records so I can ensure we are on the same page.

We dont have any diagnosis and have only just been referred for assessments, so little in the way of medical records, but do have EP report and behaviour assessment report.

thanks again...I will use your list ot make sure I have covered everything.

TICKLETUMBLE Wed 24-Apr-13 13:40:29

The letter I had written I thought was erhaps too much, but form what you are indicating I need to add more!

OneInEight Wed 24-Apr-13 14:00:53

I don't think it does any harm to put in more. The form we were sent to fill in was ridiculously small to explain our reasons and the boys problems. Breaking it down into sections as I listed means they can skim over any bits they think are not relevant. It worked for us anyway so good luck. We don't have a diagnosis yet (hopefully will be given on Friday) either but had a few reports saying an ASD is likely so I just sent in copies of those.

lougle Wed 24-Apr-13 14:08:30

This is the form Hampshire use

I used the headings from it, but did my own document. It's your moment - your chance to put on record what your DS needs. Write as much as you want grin

lougle Wed 24-Apr-13 14:10:08

Oh, and as to what provision he needs - you may have views, you may be undecided. It's ok to say that. I said 'I'll only let her go to MS if she has full 1:1 from the moment she walks on site to the moment she goes home. I'm not sure if she needs Special School; whatever you do, it's going to cost a lot of money, but she's worth it and if you spend now, you may save later.'

They offered SS without a murmur.

TICKLETUMBLE Wed 24-Apr-13 14:56:43

Lougle - lol. I like your style. I am not sureI I could pull off that kind of assertiveness...and I am not sure I know what is best for him at this stage.
On a really good day he seems to be fine in MS, no different to any other boisterous somewhat cheekyand sensitive 6 year old boy......but on not so great days, the MS school struggle to contain the stress and anxiety. When he has a bad day, everyone has a bad day....andt hatis a big problem.
They may be able to do what is needed but they need telling in simple and specific terms as interpreting suggestions has failed monumentally so far.
THey are willing and keen, but the execution is somewhat lacking and consistancy seems to be a swearword for them..... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now