Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help! Dd1 is on hunger strike

(18 Posts)
Socci Mon 15-May-06 16:45:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiggiwinkle Mon 15-May-06 17:33:05

Socci, my DS did this a year and a half ago. He is AS but at the time had not been given a DX.I was advised by the child psychiatrist and the paed that if he ever does it again we are to get urgent help (by taking him to A and E if necessary) as children on the spectrum somtimes need to be put on a drip, particularly if they are refusing to drink.
The psych. said he has very occasionally had to do this.
DS was in a hugely anxious state at the time-it was over Christmas, and as I said we had no DX and were frantic with worry.

sphil Mon 15-May-06 20:04:18

No experience of this Socci, but just to send you sympathy - it sounds very worrying. Is DD2 usually in the room when you offer DD1 food or drink?

Socci Mon 15-May-06 20:10:23

sphil Mon 15-May-06 20:43:51

DS2 always stops eating if the environment is making him anxious or overloaded. He can't sit round a table with a number of people talking for more than a few minutes. Even if it's just me and DH we have to be careful not to talk too animatedly. This is probably a really stupid thing to say given the age of DD2, but is there any chance you could offer DD1 food while DD2 is with someone else in another room?

Socci Mon 15-May-06 20:49:11

sphil Mon 15-May-06 20:51:56

Good luck with that Socci - I'll be thinking of you.

Socci Mon 15-May-06 20:55:20

Socci Tue 16-May-06 17:43:23

sphil Tue 16-May-06 19:32:49

We're fine Socci - not such a great w/e (went to stay with friends, DS2 awake most of night and refused to touch any of the food my friend had lovingly prepared especially for him ) but then visited DS2's new m/s nursery today and thought he coped really well, so feeling more optimistic.
So nice of you to ask when you're obviously having a hard time. I'm sure DD1 will snap out of it soon - although I've no experience of 'hardcore' food refusal I know that all DS2's difficulties so far have come in phases, which have eventually passed (even if they are replaced by other phases!)

Just a thought - would very gradually increasing the size of the spoon help? (with the drinking at least?) Feel free to tell me to f off if this is a really stupid suggestion!

Socci Tue 16-May-06 20:07:31

sphil Tue 16-May-06 22:00:11

Oh bless her - I feel really sorry for her . Is there anything that calms her down when she's anxious in other situations, that you could introduce at meal times?

onlyjoking9329 Tue 16-May-06 22:05:51

might be a daft idea but what about a syringe thingy or a water bottle or a straw? hope she starts eating again soon or you can find out why she isn't eating, the only time we have had food refusual is if they have an ulcer or tooth ache.

Socci Tue 16-May-06 22:12:14

Socci Wed 17-May-06 17:17:12

sphil Wed 17-May-06 21:28:20

Hurray - I'm so pleased! Some time you must tell me how they did it.

2shoes Wed 17-May-06 21:44:23

so glad

Socci Wed 17-May-06 21:51:40

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: