Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could any of you wise MNMs tell me how to deal with this one

(13 Posts)
Walter4 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:54:09

My sons teacher seems to be avoiding acknowledging my emails. This has gone on for several months and I cannot understand why. Often my emails have been very obvious in their need for a response, I have waited several weeks and then only got a reply once I email again, this acknowledging my email and suggesting a meeting. My sons behaviour at home gives us cause for great concern and on asking wether my email had been received I was told yes, no other comment.... I feel confused by his actions and am concerned I will not know how things are until the behaviour we see at home splits over into school.
I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to cause offence.

lougle Thu 18-Apr-13 19:09:11

Is email the usual way your school deals with parental queries?

Handywoman Thu 18-Apr-13 19:13:54

I don't think teachers are very good at emailing. I would approach the teacher to ask for a face-to-face meeting. Could you do that? Have you done this before?

Walter4 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:16:10

Email was suggested to by the teacher and head. I know another parent is in regular contact tis way , my emails are very infrequent.

lougle Thu 18-Apr-13 19:22:07

It's tricky. Do you think that the things you are emailing the teacher about are 'teacher things' or 'home things'?

What I mean is...do you think the teacher can directly see the link between your subject and action he/she can take to assist?

MareeyaDolores Thu 18-Apr-13 19:23:31

Could you print the email as well, and stick it in the link book?

BallyGoBackwards Thu 18-Apr-13 19:25:55

I would probably handwrite a note saying "I have sent you an email on *date*. I would appreciate if you could reply as soon as possible. I can come to the school to meet with you if you prefer not to communicate via email. Many thanks Walter.

Ask your DS to give it to teacher first thing in morning.

TapselteerieO Thu 18-Apr-13 19:31:53

Maybe if you cc it to head teacher, senco and outreach/CAHMS (or someone else) if you have that? Do you always say that you would like a quick response or meeting ASAP?

Walter4 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:36:46

Thanks everyone! Lougle, yes they are mostly questions to do with school, some info on my son I was asked to give, that sort of thing. Mareeya , that's a good idea, I will do that and request a meeting as Bally suggested. I never like to appear to pushy, but I'm getting no where simply waiting and hoping for a reply.

PolterGoose Thu 18-Apr-13 19:36:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Thu 18-Apr-13 19:54:12

Reasonable escalation would be something like.

1) Email CT and Cc. Senco, Number questions.

2) Email again after 3 working days, asking for answers to x numbered questions cc senco and HT.

3) Phone and arrange meeting with HT and address lack of response

Walter4 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:15:42

Thanks, will be more pushy from now on!, smile

Dinkysmummy Thu 18-Apr-13 22:05:46

Hey Walter,

I would get a little pushier! No one wants to be 'that mum', but sometimes you have to be in order to get them what they need or to make sure you have a clear understanding.

Good luck and I hope the school pull through and start answering flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now