Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Wish me luck . .(18 Posts)
Thank you all for the positive vibes.
Well, I 'think' it went well. Luckily they're not even thinking of mainstream as it had a bad result last time and all the reports suggest she needs more than what they could provide anyway. They were thinking of either de la salle (asd unit) or Lansbury. Luckily I'd called both and been to see Lansbury so I had something to compare Wargrave to. She listened to my arguments for and against the schools and in the end she will speak to her line manager about Dd going to Wargrave. She told me not to take anything for granted but that she'd put my case forward. My dad said is was positive from what he heard. Fingers crossed now x
Well, I'm back on the same car park waiting for yet another meeting with the lea. They now have my proposed changes, they are still refusing salt as educational and we will be discussing school placement. I'm sure they'll make it as difficult as possible for me! :0
Thanks for your reply.
When you ask are the needs set out in part 2, the proposed statement has all speech and language difficulties, as taken from the assessments set out in part two. It doesn't have specific 'dd needs x amount of slt 2 times per week' but it clearly shows her difficulties and what she will find difficult. There are a fair few communication difficulties set out. I know I can argue that the nhs salt is discharging at this stage as they know the LA will expect them to provide the therapy in parts 5/6.
I'm still waiting for a phone call so don't really know where we stand yet. I am going to draft a letter up over the weekend, so they have my query in writing too.
How frustrating for you. I hate these meetings that are supposed to be about one thing and end up being about something other.,
I agree with Agnes, it is very unprofessional for the SLT to be informing the LA before they inform you of their decision to discharge. The SLT has clinical and professional obligations to your daughter as a patient under their own Royal College guidelines and under the NHS Constitution. I really would complain that this has occured and asked them to justify their decision.
Are your daughter's SLT needs set out in Part 2 at all? If they are indicating these needs exist, they would need to justify why they are not going to impact on her education. Or are they simply saying she has no needs? This summary from IPSEA might help
Ultimately, it is a matter for the LA and not the SLT to decide on the level of provision she needs.What is her diagnosis?
In respect of the conflicting EP recommendations, the SEN COP para 8:32 (I think) requires the LA to set out reasons if the choose one expert over another and the fact that they shunted the former EP and replaced him with another does not suggest proper decision-makijng but picking and choosing of recommendations which suit them.
Having said all this, there is nothing to stop them shutting down the statement and issuing a final one, leaving you with no choice but to issue an appeal. Make it clear you will do this.
I've posted this is the wrong thread earlier. Oooops!
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I have dusted myself off and have re-focussed my energy into what is clearly going to be a fight.
One thing they told me was DD would not be getting SALT in part 2/3 as the NHS SALT has discharged her, saying she doesn't need regular therapy. However, we've not had any letters or notification of this discharge, so I called them as soon as I got home yesterday - I am still waiting for a call back.
I also called various charities (ipsea, sossen, ace) and infomed them of the SALT to go in parts 5/6 and also mentioned the reason. I was told as long as it impacted on her education and learning then no matter what the NHS SALT said about discharge, that it should in fact go into part 2/3. They did say I may have to get a private SALT report done for appeal, but said not to accept it in part 5/6.
Well, as the agenda changed last minute (due to the lady being off sick, who was due to discuss school placement) I wasn't ready to be altering the statement and lost myself and just said I need to go through it all again.
The case worker was very confident that we were close to finalising anyway and doesn't feel there needs to be much added, if anything - of course they will say that though, won't they.
We briefly spoke about school once, and thets when I discussed the old EP, who last seen her in December 2012, who I complained about and he was took off the case - well in the proposed they've put that he sees no reason why DD shouldn't be educated in mainstream and he states another 'expert' also thinks this. Now in the other 'experts' report, there is nothing to suggest mainstream - so why would they put it in there. The latest EP, who seen her in January 2013 has suggested special school. So do I argue that hers rules the december one out - that is how we worked other details out so I see no reason why it can't be done for this.
It also states that DD is of average ability (based on EP report May 2012). However, I have a report dated March 2013, from camhs, that says not to presume DD has average ability as her scores indicate she's good at some things and bad at others.
So sorry, for all the questions but I just don't trust PP.
I would probably try and get confirmation that your ds has been discharged from salt and why. If so then you may need to get an independent assessment done for tribunal. This isn't your last chance to change this. They can finalise the statement and you can then appeal to the tribunal. don't let them intimidate you. With both my dc they told me no way would I get x,y or z. this is just the opening where they hope you will go away and not bother them again.
Don't apologise. It can be shock when the friendly case worker you may have had contact with is replaced by or becomes a hard-hearted bureaucrat.
If SALT have not recommeded provision the LA can argue that there is no educational need, hence not in part 3. Did you get an indi SALT report? If not you will need one for tribunal if you need it. Just because an NHS SALT, based on limited assessment?, has discharged him does not mean that DD does not have needs. DS1 was discharged by NHS SALT in 2009 and not assessed for SA as teachers had no concerns but indi SALT did different assessments and it turns out that his problem solving skills are over five years behind his chronological age.
Let us know more when you have had a chance to digest it.
Salt and LA staff tend to band together when indep placements are on the horizon. LAs usually have a block contract with salt and make salt back them. Write it down when you get home and if things were said which don't seem right follow up with an email to confirm what was said so they cannot deny saying it later. You can also ring email or write to salt and ask for an explanation / clarification and why LA knows more about your child's therapy than you do.
I have a meeting with HT in an hour and am also bricking it. Not because I am not right - just by calling meeting has led to teachers pulling finger out just because its so uncomfortable to have these conversations and never know if they are just going to lie and turn it round on you.
Now you have done the meeting you can get final and appeal. You have shown willing and been cooperative and can now decline meetings without looking obstructive unless LA has something new to offer.
That was awful. It lasted just 30 minutes as they expected me to do all the talking. I'm shaking. I can't go through that again. I felt like a naughty child.
They also pointed out that salt have told them they're discharging dd from their service so they are leaving that in part 5&6
Sorry I'm all over the place at the minute and not making sense. Didn't even discuss schools as the woman was off sick
Great advice from cansu and Keepon, keep your counsel, listen rather than talk - especially if you struggle in this sort of meeting and if they aren't telling you what you want to hear, just ask them to finalise and then leave.
I'm hopeless in meetings, all full of brave words and determination before I go and turn to jelly when I get in there.
You have a good plan of action and you can do this - with all of us on MNSN to back you up.
I know some people on here imagine us all standing behind them during the meeting and say it really helps. I'll be there with you in spirit - and if our HT's reaction whenever he sees me is anything to go by - I must be pretty scary looking!
Good luck - remember to listen rather than talk and to agree to nothing on the day.
Try not to take what they say to heart. Their job now is to put you off and make it seem like you have no chance of getting that school. Listen but don't commit yourself to any of their ideas. Remember to say 'I'll think about that' . Try not to take it personally. I have met some terrible bullshitters from the LA. Good luck.
I'm just sat in a car park waiting for my meeting with the LA regarding DDs placement.
I have no idea where they have in mind to send her. However, we have named indi special school and know we've got a fight on our hands.
If its clear we are getting nowhere, I will ask them to finalise the statement and will take to tribunal.
I'm not very good with being in meetings and have this awful fear of authority.
Join the discussion
Please login first.