Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can home educated children be assessed for special needs?

(10 Posts)
fishfingericecream Wed 17-Apr-13 19:29:55

My son was diagnosed at 8 with ADHD whilst we were living overseas.

We are back in UK now and have no official record of the dx. He is 13 now.

I am not sure that this diagnosis is correct and am starting to suspect he may have aspergers as well or instead.

He is very sensitive to noise and smell, but insensitive to touch. He takes things literally, can't handle change and I find I have to manage him carefully to prevent a meltdown. He has never been hyperactive but inattentive and slow at everything from writing to getting changed when he was at school.

We homeshool now so I can manage him and he seems happy in himself but I am worried about the future, job prospects and exams and the like, and his lack of social skills. He never wants to come to any homeschool groups with me.

Would a diagnosis help him? Do I need it? Is it worth the anguish to him to get one?

When we were abroad he had to have one to one sessions with a psychologist which was really tough for him and do sessions with an occupational therapist, I think it has put me and him off doctors.

He doesn't like to talk about his problems at all. It seems a cruel irony that the kids that hate to socialise and hate attention have to endure more attention to get help.

How would I go about getting him assessed whilst he is home educated?

I am posting this on home ed and special needs. Thanks for reading. I know it was long.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 17-Apr-13 20:22:38

My Dd3 isn't HEed but her school were so bad at noticing her issues that none of her assessments were done at school. SALT was done at their clinic, OT at home and CAMHS at their clinic.

The psychiatrist did eventually speak to staff from school after we had moved her to a lovely inclusive school.

I think you should make some notes about your concerns and go and talk to your GP.

Good luck smile

zzzzz Wed 17-Apr-13 21:48:09

You are not looking for a statement but a dx, so a medical opinion. Go to your GP and ask to be referred for assessment.
Do you intend to HE for secondary?

There are quite few HEers on the board (including me!).

fishfingericecream Thu 18-Apr-13 09:23:19

Is SALT speech and launguage therapy?
If I had a dx would that change the way I could homeschool, we are autonomous, because it is a nightmare to do it any other way at the moment.

I am a little bit worried about starting a ball rolling in case we lose control does that make sense?

Can I discuss Ds with the GP without Ds being there?

magso Thu 18-Apr-13 10:10:59

I have written to my GP with my concerns re Ds prior to an appointment with Ds as ds must be present at appointments in our practice. Some GPs do telephone consults too. Be aware that your letter may be copied with any referral onwards.

fishfingericecream Thu 18-Apr-13 10:44:52

I just want to make things better not worse, not sure what to do.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 18-Apr-13 10:58:53

There are lots of children with a diagnosis who are HE'ed I dont think you need to worry that you will have to do things differently.

I think things only get tricky if your child is in a special school and you want to withdraw them to HE.

There is a HE board on her somewhere, I bet there are lots of knowledgeable people on there.

Good lucksmile

Ineedmorepatience Thu 18-Apr-13 11:08:41

LOL, have just been over there and seen that you found it blush

Good luck anywaysmile

fishfingericecream Thu 18-Apr-13 11:33:09

Thank you Ineedmorepatience smile

PolterGoose Thu 18-Apr-13 11:41:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: