DS has been out of school for over 3 year and has been tutored at home by the LA for the last 2. He has always been in special school from the age of 2. Anyway the special school he attended are stating they can't meet his needs. We have been to 5 neighboring LA's and no one will take him. However an independant school in one of these will. We have been dealing with the head of education and the social worker with this matter. Head of ed usually is on the panel for requests etc and the SW not usually involved unless it's resi or foster. I have not named this school in a statement, however both of these know it's my feeling that it is the only way forward. Both profs have wrote letters to inform higher of our decision and forwarded them the case. They have also had a meeting with them and gave them a deadline to say yes or no. Is this usually what happens?? Does anything have to come from me? or is that when they say no?
I wouldn't expect you to have to do anything and certainly not to have to go to Tribunal tbh. You have expressed a preference through the professionals and they've set a deadline. Hope you get the go ahead very soon.
If they say no you ask them to issue the final statement and proceed to appeal. They would be ridiculous to refuse tbh, ds is out of school (and has been for years) no maintained schools in County or in surrounding Counties can meet his needs so the only option is to go Independent. That's pretty much why ds is in Independent specialist there isn't a maintained school who could meet his needs. Really pleased to read that you have found a school, hope it's the start of a new and happy future for you all.
thanks Insanity, I'm so scared but know it has to happen, his world is limited enough but he's limited mine and the rest of the family along with it. Someone somewhere should be able to help him and I believe this school can, so fingers crossed.
Sounds silly but the only life I had was sims social on facebook and there closing it in June, so now hardly anyone is playing, fb has gone boring and I'm getting bored, haven't a clue what life will be like without DS here now and sims!! sad I know.
It will be the start of a whole new future for you all, scary at first but in time you will look back and wonder how you managed for as long as you did living such a restricted life. Ds started his school 18 months ago and he was barely speaking. Yesterday he led his own Annual Review answering questions, giving his views and opinions and making his plans for the future. He hadn't been in a shop for 12 years, at Christmas he bought and paid for gifts for the whole family, he uses buses and banks, goes to pubs and restaurants, museums and galleries, goes bowling,the gym, cinema and wall climbing. He has a chance now of a fulfilling life and your ds deserves that same chance too. If they say no then fight, fight for your boy to get the future he deserves you can do it and we'll be cheering you on.
He can do it with me too, he is so much more chilled out, he's not wanting to be holed up at home all the time and he is more tolerant of new things and things not being "right" than he has ever been. Life at home is easier we don't have to tip toe round to avoid upsetting him now, I'm not scared he will kill himself now and everyone is happier and ds laughs a lot too. He's even going to learn to be independent, he already uses shops while the staff wait outside but he's going to use the bus alone soon too. Small steps supported all the way and he is getting there.
devient, i'm so pleased you've found a school that seems right for your ds . Hopefully panel will agree the funding; if not, it sounds like you would definitely get it in part 4 on appeal.
Being a paranoid, slightly obsessive type, I think i'd want to invite my local councillor round before the decision, to prep someone democratic inside the council just in case 'good practice isn't being followed'.
But tbh, I think they're probably just counting their lucky stars that you aren't fighting for a £150k per year termly or year-round boarding place, given the problems getting ds to respite etc (and it might not hurt to get SW to state something on those lines)
Do you (and they) feel the odds of success are reasonable? Cos if so, I would suggest trusting your gut rather than worrying about the views expressed by a previous respite placement (especially one which your ds declines to attend, so he considers it unsuitable, however good they are)