Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anxiety and DCD?

(3 Posts)
rumbamama Tue 16-Apr-13 11:58:04

DD started having sleep problems in February, refused to fall asleep without myself or DP upstairs, this became steadily worst, with her waking up during the night, and remaining awake for up to 3 hours.

Initially tried reward charts etc, but now clear she has other issues such as she will say that she doesn't want to grow up, she doesn't think she will drive or get a job etc etc! She is seven!

She was diagnosed with DCD 3 years ago, but is doing well at school with lots of good friends. GP prescribed Melatonin which did not work, and advised we stayed with her until she falls alsleep but suspects this is anxiety related and not 'just a sleep problem'.

She was then referred to CAMHS as she fell asleep was falling asleep at school, but have just had a phonecall from CAMHS to say that they think the school nurse will be able to deal with her problems. I feel physically sick with worry now as I don't know how to deal with these emotions she is having, and am also worried that the school nurse will just brush it off! We have a book that we are working through together called 'What to do when you worry too much'.

adelinehillman Tue 16-Apr-13 16:08:40

Both my DS' have suffered from night terrors, which eventually passed at around 4 years. In the end we would put them in bed with us, which I know for some isn't ideal, but we got to the stage where we'd do anything for a good nights sleep.

Have you tired lights/sound in your DD's bedroom? DS2 has recently been diagnosed with ASD, so we have nature sounds and sparkly lights, along with glow in the dark stickers. Seems to help as its distracting and soothing. We also do candlelit baths, with minimal sounds and light, then lavendar massges followed by bed. I was also advised by my OT to read bedtime stories in a monotone fashion so they are bored to sleep!

Melatonin does work for us, but I don't like using it too often. We have also in the past been perscribed Piriton and the doctor suggested Tixylix. However these seem to help in getting them off to sleep but then they'll wake later.

Hopefully the sleep thing will be something she'll grow out of.

Good luck.

rumbamama Tue 16-Apr-13 16:11:06

Like the sound of nature sounds! Maybe worth a try. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now