Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia and hypermobility

(10 Posts)
Daughteroughter Mon 15-Apr-13 23:20:49

DS 8 was diagnosed last year with Dyspraxia and hypermobility. He has had some visual reception tests this week and has clearly got some difficulty. He loves rugby but is pretty rubbish, we want to help him get fitter but am getting mixed messages bathtub whether he can improve ...

mrslaughan Tue 16-Apr-13 09:15:11

Yes - in my experience they can improve (DS 7 - fine motor dyspraxia) - but it has to be something that they really want as it takes a huge amount of determination and practice on their part. Does that help?

auntevil Tue 16-Apr-13 17:32:25

Another one who agrees that it can be done, but is a lot of hard work.
I would say though, that rugby may not be the best sport to choose as it is a contact sport and they are not recommended for hypermobility.
Re the hypermobility, improving core strength is important, so many of the exercises recommended for dyspraxia do just that. Strengthening the joint's supporting structures mean that sport will be less hazardous.
DS1 has quite severe somato dyspraxia, but has still made the school team in netball. Strangely, I think sometimes that his gangly uncoordinated style with arms flailing actually puts people off trying to score grin

Daughteroughter Tue 16-Apr-13 21:45:24

Thanks both. Not sure what happened with my typing!

We will probably wean him off rugby as contact comes in but he loves it so much and the coaches, who we have told are fab.

We're starting an exercise programme for core os hopefully...

Ruggles Wed 17-Apr-13 07:12:14

Hello daughteroughter
My DS has dyspraxia, adhd and has just been flagged up as being quite hypermobile too. We have been doing the Tinsley House programme for 5 months and it has really been helping with his motor skills, balance and spatial awareness.

He is 4 and goes to rugbytots which he loves - it is the highlight of his week. Interesting what you say auntevil as I did wonder about proper rugby and hypermobility... It's quite new to me and both dcs have it - I am quite worried about everything grin grin I just about didn't breath when they went on a bouncy castle last week. Trampolines? How do we work out what is safe and what to avoid...

ouryve Wed 17-Apr-13 10:16:09

Light bouncing or jogging on a trampette is probably excellent for improving core strength as so much effort is required to keep balanced and the impact on landing is absorbed. Big jumps are probably a no-no, though - if for no other reason than the risk of not landing straight and twisting or bending joints in the wrong direction.

blueberryupsidedown Wed 17-Apr-13 13:37:32

Trampoline, someone recommended, but I'm not sure. It might cause problems because of hypermobility. The other thing is swimming. DS is making massive improvements he loves being in the water, has had lessons for two years (still can't swim properly but he can swim in his own way). Also, we have a wobble board, which is great and cheap. School has one too, it has a maze in it, and DS loves it. Great for core muscles.

Ruggles Wed 17-Apr-13 19:37:50

Thank you, that's great. Will watch that the trampoline doesn't get too adventurous and will get a wobble board too. My dcs love swimming too grin

auntevil Wed 17-Apr-13 20:20:09

It's the physical jarring and yanking of limbs that take rugby off the list.
Trampolining is good on a domestic level. The trampettes and garden trampolines don't seem to have the same degree of bounce that gym clubs etc have so they don't tend to bounce too hard and fast. It is good for balance and sensory processing.
Cheapo gym ball with wheelbarrow balances, leg raises etc really help with strengthening and supporting joints. This is half the battle when doing sports of any kind.

Justgotdiagnosis Wed 17-Apr-13 20:29:32

My DS is hypermobile and we have found swimming and a small trampoline in the front room great, his muscle strength has really improved and he is a lot stronger now.
The first physio we saw recommended lots of exercises but we then saw someone else at follow up who said exercises were too hard for DS to follow; just do swimming and trampolining. Her advice was spot on and really made a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now