Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Blisters on hands from walking aids

(6 Posts)
NoHaudinMaWheest Mon 15-Apr-13 21:44:39

My dd (13) has developed joint pains and weak knees which mean that she needs crutches to walk. It is not clear what is causing these problems but they have been present for several months now.
After a whole day at school on her crutches she is getting blisters on the palms of her hands.
Has anyone any experience of this and any remedies that worked for them. Thanks.

zzzzz Mon 15-Apr-13 23:39:02

Poor thing, that sounds horrid. You could phone NHS direct and ask advice as it must be parr for the course?

The only thing I can think of is rubbing our feet with white spirit to harden them before trekking, but that's pre-blister and will kill an open wound. (Disclaimer this method was espoused by the ancient nuns that educated me and may not be exactly cutting edge!)

PolterGoose Tue 16-Apr-13 18:42:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Tue 16-Apr-13 19:19:19

We don't really want her to have rough hands though do we??? I mean thick skin on your feet is useful, but on your hands hmm

NoHaudinMaWheest Tue 16-Apr-13 19:32:43

Thanks for that link Polter. I will get Dd to have a look and see what kind she prefers.
I remember having to use surgical spirit on my feet after having a verruca removed. No way would I want it on her hands. Ouch.

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 18-Apr-13 17:14:54

Order some pads from the link Polter posted. They are great and will make such a difference.
Thanks flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now