Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Finally got my assessment appointment, help me not waste it..

(10 Posts)
greener2 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:40:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 20:53:52

Can you tell us more about why she was referred and what sort of things you may be worried about in her behaviour?

Does she mix well with her peers? Does she cope at school? Does she have any problems dressing, jumping, catching, writing etc?

greener2 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:15:03

greener2 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:21:11

greener2 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:23:33

popgoestheweezel Mon 15-Apr-13 22:21:18

It sounds like you have a lot going on there, I can only really recommend keeping a diary of behaviours and what's happening before and after to try and make sense of her behaviour. There are a few possible overlaps with PDA (pathological demand avoidance) type behaviours- temper tantrums, purposely doing things you've told her not to, controlling and rude, have you looked at that yet? http://www.pdacontact.org.uk/noframes/whatispda.shtml

greener2 Tue 16-Apr-13 13:30:45

popgoestheweezel Tue 16-Apr-13 19:01:37

The whole area of ASD is complicated because each child presents differently and there is a huge range of behaviours, including different responses/coping mechanisms to the same stressors, but underlying it all is the triad of impairments.
I can't give much advice about the typically ASD behaviours as I'm not really familiar with them because my ds is very much on the PDA side of things however, lots of children do have both PDA and ASD to varying degrees. All children have bad and good days but I think it's common for most of us dealing with extreme behaviour to judge on a different scale to the rest of the world. Our 'good day' would be another family's 'awful day'.

greener2 Tue 16-Apr-13 19:37:08

popgoestheweezel Tue 16-Apr-13 22:29:28

On one of our good days, ds might have got himself dressed (instead of us having to dress him), he might have allowed us to clean his teeth (instead of refusing altogether) we might have been able to distract him while he was having his shoes put on (instead of it being a major upheaval), he might have managed to get into the car in just a few minutes (instead of half an hour) he might only have hurt his sister half a dozen times (instead of dozens), they might have been able to play nicely for a few minutes (instead of us not being able to leave them in a room together), he might only have had two or three mini meltdowns (instead of several big meltdowns) he might have been speaking normally (instead of growling and grunting and telling us to shut up repeatedly) etc etc. The average family would experience only a fraction of that and think that their average nearly seven year old was behaving appallingly, and they'd be right. In fact, the stuff in brackets is actually a pretty average day, I can't really bear to think about our worst days...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now