Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SEN and human rights

(33 Posts)
Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 12:49:53

I am a long time poster. Most of you know my commitment to these issues.

I am lawyer. I am a researcher. I am working on a research proposal on SEN and human rights.

We don't have funding.

The research is not going ahead at present.

I am not asking for recruits.

The research will look at SEN and human rights issued raised by the SEN process. This will include remedies for breaches of process such as Ombudsman and LGO.

Thought some people might be interested.

zzzzz Mon 15-Apr-13 12:53:42

Well tell us more about it then?

You sound a bit frazzled inappropriately , are you OK?

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 12:56:33

To make it clear:

THIS IS NOT A MEDIA REQUEST.

THERE IS NO PROGAMME TO BE RECRUITED TO

I am sorry if someone got themselves confused.

The result. MUMSNET got in touch to suggest I pay £30. What for? For trying to tell my fellow posters about the work I am trying to do PRO BONO to raise issues related to the human rights of very vulnerable children.

I have been on this board for years. Regular posters know the trouble I have had and how I have raised things every step of the way, challenging things legally where I can.

I am not asking anyone for anything in this post and I really hope you will do me the courtesy of letting it remain.

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 12:59:29

No - I am not ok.

I am really upset. MNHQ say some posters got in touch to report my previous post so they just instantly removed it.

I try to use my skills the best I can to promote the issues that affect us. To challenge what I can, when I can.

Instead of asking me for £30, perhaps MNHQ should try and do something to help. But then I know it's not a 'sexy' cause. Who cares about kids with disabilities?

Really, I despair, I do.

zzzzz Mon 15-Apr-13 13:01:20

It sounds like you need to email MNHQ and discuss this.

I'm not sure what how long you've been posting for has to do with things, but I think you are VERY well known (and respected) on this board, so I'm sure HQ can see that?

zzzzz Mon 15-Apr-13 13:01:44

Xposted will read yours

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 13:05:41

Thanks zzzz. I have done that.

zzzzz Mon 15-Apr-13 13:09:52

If you need to pay £30 to recruit people for a study, and you aren't recruiting people for a study, then you don't need to pay.

If your deleted post read like you were looking for names of people who would get involved, and that's not what you are looking for then it's better to reword it isn't it?

If you want MNHQ to support your idea/study, then ask them, after all they can only say no. I think you a being a little unfair in your characterisation.

Lots MNSN mums would probably love to hear about the study and your ideas.

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 13:14:42

I have contacted them and of course I am not going to pay £30 and we have asked MNHQ before and they had that long post about running a campaign which came to nothing.

I asked people if they were interested that is all. I said we had no funding and research was not taking place.

I thought people would like to hear about it too but obviously not.

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 13:17:02

I'm just annoyed that 'posters' complained. Why not say if you had a problem with it?

I was pointing out that I was a long time poster only because I would have thought people would know I wasn't up to anything untoward.

Oh well.

starfish71 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:18:30

I would be interested in finding out more inappropriately.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 15-Apr-13 14:23:58

I would be interested to IE

insanityscratching Mon 15-Apr-13 14:26:44

I would too IE. Didn't see the earlier post so can't speculate as to why it would be reported. Are you having problems with a specific poster? Could you be being targeted by someone with a grudge? Do you think LA perhaps have spotted you? Can't imagine anyone off the MNSN board would have reported without speaking to you anyway.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Apr-13 14:27:12

Hello.

Inappropriatelyemployed, a mail is on its way to you.

And many apols about this.

Looks like your first thread, inappropriatelyemployed, was deleted in error.

It did contain the phrase, "Would some people here be willing to get involved to answer questionnaires", which was taken out of context and seen as a direct recruitment drive for volunteers - which should, rightly, sit in our Non-member/media requests section.

We can now see that this was not inappropriatelyemployed's intention.

We'll, of course, leave this thread up.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Apr-13 14:30:11

And please don't blame those who reported her thread. We do ask folks to report anything they think might be spam/cheeky market-research - even if they're not sure if it really is.

We don't delete just because someone reports but look instead at what's been reported and take a view. We took the wrong view here, clearly, and the fault was completely ours at HQ.

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 14:33:44

I take your point but it is not what I have come to expect from posters on this board.

People are usually quite open if they think there is an issue. I have reported posts myself but have always flagged up where I thought there was a problem.

This is not AIBU or any other board like that. We are generally a close knit community, so to that extent, I do 'blame' posters for superstitiously reporting me.

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 14:34:18

Surreptitiously reporting me...

lougle Mon 15-Apr-13 14:36:26

Inappropriately, sorry you got short shrift. I didn't report it, I didn't see it. It is the sort of thing that i would normally report, though. Although I probably wouldn't have reported you because I recognise you and would probably have said 'eek don't you need to ask MNHQ first...?'

It's hard for MNHQ to draw wobbly lines in the sand, I think.

Are you able to tell us what the research is about, how you plan to execute it, what stage you're at, etc.? All that really juicy interesting stuff that isn't asking people to fill in questionnaires even if they may well want to fill one in when you are ready

zen1 Mon 15-Apr-13 14:38:38

Didn't see the original thread, but I would be interested in finding out more too.

bigbluebus Mon 15-Apr-13 14:54:16

I didn't see the original post either, but think that Human Rights for people with SEN is a very interesting topic from a number of sides.

I remember when filling in our Electoral form after DD turned 16 and there was a space to add children who had turned 16, even though they still don't get to vote for 2 more yrs. I rang the electoral office to see if I needed to put DD on it as she has severe disabilities (both Learning and physical) and does not have the Mental Capacity to vote. I was told that I had to put her down on the register as it is her 'human right' to be on it! She has now turned 18, and we get a polling card for her every time there is an election - no wonder there is abuse of the voting system in some areas! She is never going to vote or borrow money so she doesn't need to be on the electoral roll!

Sorry for the trivial side of Human Rights, (which I know is a much more serious issue) but it just made me laugh at the time

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 15:54:55

I am going to try and look at the SEN process, how human rights are raised within it and disability rights. And the effect of the glorious waste of space that is the C&F Bill.

lougle Mon 15-Apr-13 15:57:51

So will it be qualitative research, quantitative or both?

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 16:00:22

We need to decide on that as it could end up being too wide if it is purely quantitative.

I think a sense of the breadth of the whole problem and processes is important though.

I shall keep you posted.

zzzzz Mon 15-Apr-13 16:16:15

What is "the SEN process"?

I wonder if perhaps it hasn't reached Devon?

Inappropriatelyemployed Mon 15-Apr-13 16:20:19

Zzzz. There is a statutory process as you know cheeky! grin

We all know it is largely ignored so people's experiences of that are very important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now