Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Talking singing and reading to him self asd!!!

(6 Posts)
samira837 Sun 14-Apr-13 00:42:43

Hi my ds1 5 asd started saying words last year and almost still the same!! But what I don't get and gets me Frustrated is that I hear him speaking singing and reading to him self!! It's not 100% clear but it's there!! Is this normal for asd kids and enyone have any tips to help him?!!!! School say that it's because he don't need to speek and will come a day when he will Realise that to get what he need he needs to talk?!!!'!!!

zumbaleena Sun 14-Apr-13 00:54:37

Wht u r describing is echolalia. It could be delayed or immediate. A good sign as language can be modeled for him and school is wrong, it will not come by itself. You will need to model it for him. Try ABA vb

Trigglesx Sun 14-Apr-13 07:18:23

Not sure if this is what you mean, but DS2 had difficulty forming sentences and mainly used key words to get his point across. At the same time, he was spouting off sentences and singing, but it was (as zumba says) echolalia - he was repeating things he'd heard us say or on the television. He didn't know how to make his OWN sentences, if that makes sense.

So if he wanted a biscuit, he'd either say to us "biscuit" or "would you like a biscuit?" - because that last question is what we'd ask him, so he was just repeating it as he knew that pretty much led to a biscuit IYSWIM. So he was repeating the sentence verbatim. Plus a lot of what he repeated was utterly disjointed - but obviously stuff he'd heard, he just wasn't sure what to do with it.

He has speech and language delay. He's 6yo now and has seen SALT since he was 4yo. He's just at the point of being discharged now and his speech is so much better. He still struggles when he is upset, but the skills are there, so it's not really the SALT's remit anymore, it's more us and helping him cope. But we literally had to reteach him how to ask for things and sometimes the only way to teach him things was to rely on the echolalia by saying it how HE should say it and lots of praise when it was applied correctly. Plus the SALT and school worked on a lot of aspects of it. We still see the echolalia, but his main speech has improved greatly. I do not think it would have improved without assistance.

TheLightPassenger Sun 14-Apr-13 10:30:32

Agree with triggles and zumba. There is a big difference between being able to form sentences independently and being able to repeat familiar strings of words without really understanding the meaning. Not quite sure from your post whether your child can make his own sentences, but assuming this isnt the case, this sort of echolalia is slightly reassuring as you can tell theres not a physical issue with making the speech sounds but I wouldnt take schools laid back attitude as gospel tbh.

samira837 Sun 14-Apr-13 10:49:19

Thx everyone yes he can make short Sentences thing like "where is shoes" "bred and Cheese plz" Ect things he wants!! But what really blowes my mind is that he can read!! At 1st I just assumed he had rememberd how words lookt like but he reads everything!! Especially when we are out driving!! Don't know why school is saying that?!!! But I'm looking to move bk to Sweden this summer so hopping to get him a privet Speech therapist when we get there!

insanityscratching Sun 14-Apr-13 13:59:32

My ds taught himself to read before he was three. I didn't know because he couldn't speak but I finally figured it out when he'd use magnetic letters to spell words from memory. He would later read aloud from books in sentences when he was only using odd words in speech. Now he can speak fluently but still communicates regularly through notes, emails and texts as he finds it easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now