Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Understanding I, you, me, etc

(10 Posts)
chuckeyegg Fri 12-Apr-13 19:29:04

DS has become fairly verbal but I can't help him to understand I, you. He will say I when he means you and vice versa. We have tried to explain and modelled it for him.

Any advice. Thanks xx

zumbaleena Fri 12-Apr-13 19:45:44

how old is he?

chuckeyegg Fri 12-Apr-13 19:46:33

He's 6.

chuckeyegg Fri 12-Apr-13 19:52:33

Sorry should have said he has ASD.

Thanks X

zumbaleena Fri 12-Apr-13 20:32:51

you can model by pointing or start referring in thirs person. for my daughter she picked up third person first and gradually got the hand of you and I. mine has asd too!

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 21:27:41

Ds couldn't do pronouns very well at 6, but at 8 he gets them right more than wrong. I expect over the next few years they will firm up even more.

I model the correct pronoun if he makes a mistake, quietly without any negativity IYSWIM. It does help and he often repeats it or uses the correct pronoun immediately. I think reading helps too.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 12-Apr-13 23:17:33

DS2 started 'getting' pronouns at about 7, and now at 9 very rarely gets them wrong.

chuckeyegg Sat 13-Apr-13 08:06:46

Thank you all for you advise and support, it's so good to hear your children have improved with this. I'm sure we will get there in time.

Thanks again. x

MareeyaDolores Sat 13-Apr-13 13:31:11

I pointed (like makaton) whenever using anyone's name and for the pronouns. And always said stuff twice, so he got a subliminal prompt for the grammar etc plus two goes to 'hear' the key words.

'Mummy says ds1 get-in the car <pause> DS1, I want you to get-in the car'

MareeyaDolores Sat 13-Apr-13 13:35:49

He had the pronouns is echolalic sentabces for ages before he started understanding their workings properly, and he got I/My first.
Still remember him saying (at 5, I think, 'I can Go by myself... swiftly followed 'and mummy go by 'mummy-self grin')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now