Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Need urgent advice on how to deal with DS (6) weeing on sofa

(15 Posts)
Kiriwawa Fri 12-Apr-13 17:41:21

I'm furious with him and have sent him out of the room. He's been dry since he was 3 although still not dry at night. He's bloody lazy though and will still wee in his nappy in the morning if I don't whip it off him the moment he gets up.

He's going through assessment at the moment and has sensory issues (possible SPD, possibly on the autism spectrum).

I'm furious because he just sat there - didn't get up and run to the loo which would have meant that the entire bladderful of wee wouldn't have ended up absorbed by the sofa. Am I being unkind? He's never done anything like this before although does tend to be a bit last minute about weeing.

And what do I do about it? I'm soaking it up with old cloths but what can I do about any smell? I can't do much about the feather filled seat cushions sad

PolterGoose Fri 12-Apr-13 17:57:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kiriwawa Fri 12-Apr-13 18:15:15

Maybe I'm really mean then for being cross. But he's been reliably dry since he was 3.2 - he's not had any accidents at all since he was about 3 1/2. He's not had a single accident at school and he's in yr 1 now.

I know that he leaves it till the last minute at times but surely this is just 'can't be bothered' rather than anything else? How can you remember to go for 3 years and suddenly forget?

We've had a very unstressful day - we came back from holiday yesterday so just pottering around the house today (just him and me).

UnChartered Fri 12-Apr-13 18:18:34

DD has huge sensory issues and is dry during the night

during the day she often has accidents, and doesn't know she's done it until you see it

it could be DS is relaxing now he's home, so much so he can't feel his bladder is full?

coreny Fri 12-Apr-13 18:24:31

my ds used to do this when he was really absorbed in something. Was he watching something on TV?

PolterGoose Fri 12-Apr-13 18:27:10

Kiriwawa Fri 12-Apr-13 18:30:35

Okay, thanks, that's a good point. We've had a(nother) chat about him 'listening' to when his willy feels funny.

Any tips on getting wee out of the sofa?!

Kiriwawa Fri 12-Apr-13 18:33:16

Sorry, x-posted. Yes, coreny, he was watching TV. He doesn't watch TV that much any more, he normally plays on his wii so he knows he can pause that.

Ah, that's interesting Polter, I didn't know that. I'm not at all convinced he is on the spectrum but we're still waiting for his paeds assessment so I could be entirely wrong.

bassingtonffrench Fri 12-Apr-13 18:57:20

re. wee out of sofa. sponge down as much as you can and wash covers. Then buy some Bicarbonate of Soda, sprinkle it liberally on the sofa and leave overnight. it will absorb any remaining smells.

PipinJo Fri 12-Apr-13 18:57:25

Kiriwawa Fri 12-Apr-13 19:35:44

Thanks bass. I have bicarbonate so I can do that now.

I don't think there are any UTI issues but if he does it again I'll take him to the GP. I'm really reluctant to take him unless necessary because he's already seeing the OT and the paed.

eggsandwich Fri 12-Apr-13 19:54:05

I'm very familiar with this, my son who has ASD and is nearly 13 years old does this from time to time, like your DS he was dry from 3 years of age both day and night, then for some reason when he was 10 he had a virus with a high temperture, from that moment on he would not only wee where he happened to be standing, but also poo as well. It drove me nuts as you can imagine, both me and my DH couldn't understand why he went from being previously dry to this, it was like he had forgotten what he had learnt. This first episoded went on for months, we would keep reminding him to go to wee, but some times he would go to the bathroom only to come out and wee where he was standing. Now after 3 years we do have moments where he has a relapse, but the episodes don't last that long. Like you our three piece suite went through hell as did our carpets, we have since brought a leather suite which is much more practical, and a carpet cleaner which is brilliant for mopping up and cleaning the carpet to prevent any smell and stains.

Kiriwawa Fri 12-Apr-13 21:58:34

I'm glad I'm not alone eggsandwich although I'm hoping this is a one off.

I drove for 5 hours yesterday and I'm shattered. Urgh - hope tomorrow is a better day smile

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 22:10:09

It would take a saint (and I am quite saintly if I say so myself wink ) not to be annoyed by this.

I'd try specific times to go to the loo to get him back into it (time it with breaks at school for day time hours).

I second the bicarbonate but would flush the wet patches with vinegar and water first then dry with towels. Tedious for you. Honk honk.

Kiriwawa Sat 13-Apr-13 04:47:24

Thank you zzzz - I am not remotely saintly but I do try to be patient most of the time. Too late for the vinegar as I've already done the bicarbonate.

I was much less cross once he finally said sorry. Of course then we had a tirade of self-loathing which is par for the course round here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now