Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone have experience of 'talkabout for children'?

(8 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Fri 12-Apr-13 16:03:31

We have just come back from our bibic visit and this is something they have recommended for dd2, and we hope school will take this on.

Has anyone used this? There are various ones for social communication and a DVD one. Before I ask school to do this, or we go and buy it I just wondered if anyone had used it and what they thought.

mumgoingcrazy Sun 14-Apr-13 10:00:47

Bump

PleasantSpice Sun 14-Apr-13 13:26:05

Do you mean Talkabout by Alex Kelly? I have two of her books and they are quite good for some children. I am hosting a three day course by Alex Kelly in Cardiff in June, so will be able to tell you more after that wink

moondog Sun 14-Apr-13 19:08:32

Interesting PS.
I have quite a bit of AK's stuff and she was also one of my lecturers.
A great woman and special needs is her passion.
She has an excellent reputation in s/lt circles.

My only concern is that to do with operationalisation (breakdown) of tasks and baseline assessment and data collection to ascertain whether using the programme has brought about measurable change. I know too many people who think that just 'doing' Talkabout (ie following the manuals) is enough. They haven't measured change.

However would be fab to tweak it a little to make this happen which should be easy enough to do.

I didn't think you did this sort of stuff Pleasant. You're a woman of many talents! smile

Flappingandflying Sun 14-Apr-13 19:32:51

Most schools should have one of the copies. A whole set costs quite a bit. I've found them very useful as a basis for social skills group however if misused could become death by worksheet. It needs to be used as part of an integrated programme in a group otherwise its just filling in worksheets.

PleasantSpice Sun 14-Apr-13 20:00:57

Hi moondog, we have kids right across the spectrum so need resources from right across the spectrum. I'm looking forward to the her workshop to see exactly what she does and then will look at how we're going to measure it wink
I went to the feeding conference last week hosted by midlands psychology, piazza and fisher were presenting. It was interesting, particularly Terry Dovey, given me some great ideas for TalkTools research.
Off to Barcelona next month to see Michelle Garcia Winner, I like her stuff so want to learn more.

mumgoingcrazy Sun 14-Apr-13 21:02:31

Hi, yes I do mean talkabout by Alex Kelly. Bibic said they had specific ones for children which they think dd2 will really benefit from.

The first I heard of it was last week so I literally know nothing about it. Can any of you give me a quick idiots guide to it?

Thank you all for your replies, I'd like to hear how the workshop went.

moondog Sun 14-Apr-13 21:47:03

Oh I'd love to see Michelle Garcia Winner! envy

Mum, here is her website so ask there
Yes, Flapping that's exactly what I mean. I've come across people mindlessly filling in the worksheets with no thought of measurement and generalisation. Then when yuo ask them how things will change for the child, they get defensive and say 'We're doing Talkabout!'

I can 'do' a lot of things-doesn't mean they are meaningful or generisable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now