Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dumb EP!

(6 Posts)
zumbaleena Fri 12-Apr-13 15:27:10

My dumb EP (LEA) came to my house to do some observation and assessment with my daughter. I could see how much she struggled with simple conversation with her. She did some BAS testing which dd did v v well. At the end of it, dumb EP said she seems fine to be without 1:1 in nursery. She may need 1:1 later in yr 2 when abstract terms come into being. I am mortified....I thought emphasis should be on early intervention whereby we empower the child and fade out the 1:1 but no....we should let the child rot and then provide 1:1 when the sapling is near death

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Fri 12-Apr-13 15:57:11

There is a dysjuncture between what is written in the 'every child matters' vein and what happens in the day to day real world. You will meet many dumb LEA EPs sad

What was that phrase - you are your child's best, and often only, advocate?

angry

Ineedmorepatience Fri 12-Apr-13 18:31:20

Yes its bonkers isnt it. It took us most of the year to get some funding for a LO at work who needed 1 :1. since the buddy has been in the setting the LO has begun to learn new skills and is beginning to play alongside the other children. Which is a massive step forward.

You are going to have to shout and stamp your feet, speak to the senco at nursery.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Apr-13 18:52:44

Would also suggest you apply for a statement and ignore any naysayers. Use IPSEA's website [www.ipsea.org.uk]].

1 to 1 is not fully guaranteed on SA plus so that may not happen either.

LEA EPs are often under pressure from their employers not to readily statement.

zumbaleena Fri 12-Apr-13 18:57:35

DD is already being assessed for statementing. That is why the EP came to our place to observe her. I told her v clearly by the end f our conversation that either they provide a statement or I will see them in tribunal.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 12-Apr-13 21:16:17

Well done you zumba

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now