Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Got yelled at for having "such a big buggy"

(23 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 12-Apr-13 15:04:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 15:17:33

Ear plugs! grin

Ignore ignore ignore.

wasuup3000 Fri 12-Apr-13 15:25:09

Tin Hat?

zumbaleena Fri 12-Apr-13 15:27:48

Throw the woman with big feet out of the bus!

frizzcat Fri 12-Apr-13 15:32:00

Wonder would she have said the same if it was a wheel chair - she's an idiot keep your buggy smile

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 12-Apr-13 15:33:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigbluebus Fri 12-Apr-13 15:52:10

Reminded me of the day we went with some friends to a certain stately home and took DD with us in her wheelchair (with a buggy type base - but moulded seat). There were steps up to the main building and they had one of those stair climbing wheelchairs, but you had to ring a bell for a member of staff to come and operate it. DD can't transfer from her wheelchair so DH and friend carried DDs wheelchair up the steps. When we got inside, one of the staff announced in a big loud voice across the foyer "You can't use that buggy in here, you'll have to park it over there and carry the child". I politely informed her that it was a wheelchair and not a buggy, and as 9 yo DD couldn't walk, and I couldn't carry her, we would not be parking it anywhere" except perhaps in her mouth if there was room in addition to her foot being in there!.
She did very quickly apologise and was then falling over herself to show me the photographic guide to an exhibition which was on the 1st floor (which I had little interest in) which we couldn't get to! I think she learned a lesson that day.
Don't change buggy for a wheelchair just to suit other people, just tell them its a wheelchair and shut them up!

Pixel Fri 12-Apr-13 17:11:02

I don't think the Major takes up as much room as some of those 3 wheeler things anyway, especially the double ones. Nobody seems to say anything about them!

SauvignonBlanche Fri 12-Apr-13 17:14:54

I was once asked at a Stately home if I was bringing "that thing in here" in reference to a huge buggy containing a young child with DS and CP.
I politely enquired whether she was referring to the pushchair or its contents.
Judging by her blush I hoped she would be more thoughtful in future.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 12-Apr-13 18:30:35

I used to carry stickers that were meant to raise awareness that a Mac Major / Swifty etc ARE wheelchairs and are given out by the wheelchair service, and therefore get priority for the wheelchair spaces over ordinary pushchairs.

I more than once just silently stuck them on people that complained...grin

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 12-Apr-13 18:31:03

<<No shame...>>

SauvignonBlanche Fri 12-Apr-13 18:32:08

Well done! grin

CwtchesAndCuddles Fri 12-Apr-13 19:21:43

I was at the London Dungeon last week with dh,dd and ds who has severe learning difficulties / asd - he was in his special needs buggy.
I had contacted the dungeon before hand to make sure it would be classed as a mobility aid / wheelchair and so that we would have assistance as required. Having checked the access policy on the website I knew we would need to bypass the boat ride and need to use a lift at some point.

Despite the good planning and confirmation that the duty manager would be aware of our visit and having a pre arranged time to visit it was a disaster. The boat ride operator just ignored me and when I asked for help pointed to ds in his buggy and said "can't he walk, can't you fold the pushchair?" I then "educated" her and pointed out it was a special needs buggy and that we had pre booked wheelchair assistance. This was met with rolling of eyes to her college and she grudgingly got me help. At other point we were left waiting for someone to oporate the lift and no one came and later left to re join our group from the lift in total darkness.

On return home I emailled the manager and have received a huge appology - we are going again in June and the manager is taking us round and promised is a few freebies! (merlin passholders so don't need to pay again to get in)
They are investigating what went wrong on the day of our visit and "training" is to be given.

There are some very ignorant people about!

moondog Fri 12-Apr-13 19:25:16

That's gratifying Cwtches. Terrible you had to suffer that stress but good that they want to do the right thing by you. smile

MareeyaDolores Fri 12-Apr-13 21:29:55

flowers for vue cinemas. Had ds1 kicking off for being 5 min late, dd just whining a little and ds2 ok because tightly strapped into ancient mac major (no diagnosis, but escapes from an ordinary buggy and is a clone of ds1 being checked for possible adhd and asd).

Lady said, 'Sorry no buggies' so I whispered 'It's a wheelchair' in her ear and she not only waved us through, but checked we knew all about the special bays etc. And it was the kids matinee so tickets only £1.75 each grin

MareeyaDolores Fri 12-Apr-13 21:31:10

Love Couthy's sticker approach!!!!

ouryve Fri 12-Apr-13 23:14:20

Oh, ignore.

Though if your DD will sit without running off, a classic wheelchair might garner more sympathy from ignoramuses. (Ignoramii?) Might hurt more when you accidentally run over their feet, too.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 13-Apr-13 01:03:05

I'm going to be pulling the Mac Major out soon for DS3 when he outgrows the baby jogger (it's amazing how right I can get the straps btw - he escapes from all other prams on the market and I lucked into a secondhand one for £40!).

I will be getting some more of the stickers printed up!!

I have to catch at least 4 buses a day during term time to get DS1 & DS2 to school, one during morning rush hour right when the bus is packed with people going to work.

It's going to be fun...

With DS3 I used to see how many idiots needed a ticketing each morning. It became a good game between DS1 and me making bets on how many each day...

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 13-Apr-13 01:04:01

Right = tight.

I'm going to throw my phone out if the window soon, Autocorrect is really twisting my wick this week!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 13-Apr-13 01:04:35

DS3 in that last line should be DS2. Gah!

hazeyjane Sun 14-Apr-13 10:10:09

I have a laminated disabled child badge that I use on ds's buggy, after overhearing a loud comment from a mum at school about 'all these pushchairs in the corridors...' (I am the only mum that uses a pushchair in the school!) and after being made to wake ds up and fold the pushchair up, on the way to a hospital appointment on the bus, because a woman got on with a baby in a buggy and refused to fold it up.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 14-Apr-13 10:12:20

I hare the stares and comments we get when DD is in her buggy. She is tall and looks 8..do people think I would push an NT 8 year old round for no reason?

Pixel Sun 14-Apr-13 21:00:38

The daft thing is, when dd had an operation the day she came home was lovely and sunny, so we squeezed her into ds's old Chicco pushchair and took her for a stroll along the seafront (she was very light).
And guess what? Not one stare or comment! Yet ds in a Major which to me is pretty obviously not a normal pushchair, we get "aren't you big to be in there?" confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now