Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD diagnosis where do we go from here?

(6 Posts)
Whirliwig72 Fri 12-Apr-13 13:03:10

Ds1 has been diagnosed with Aspergers - he's 4. I'm partly relieved since I now know why he is different from his peers - I wasn't sure if his behaviour was down to me being a really crap parent or something! - but I'm also a bit heartbroken (please don't flame me) as I know life is going to be just that little bit harder for him and us and my some of my daydreams for him are probably very unrealistic)
I want to read as much as I can to find out more so any recommendations are very welcome and also if you can recommend any outlets for sharing feelings and concerns as a parent (in addition to Mumsnet) that would be brilliant!

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 13:15:30

"Send in the Idiots" Kamran Nazeer is my favourate.

"Emergence" by Temple Grandin and watch her utube lectures

There's a film about twin brothers in the USA, but I can't remember what it's called that I would like to watch again. I will try to find it.

Don't give up on too many dreams. Most will need some artistic thinking but are still achievable if you really wan them.

Whirliwig72 Fri 12-Apr-13 13:18:11

Thank you zzzzzz, bless you.

adelinehillman Fri 12-Apr-13 13:55:34

Join the NAS (National Autistic Society). They will have a branch in your local area where you can meet other parents and kids affected by ASD. They also provide a list of publications and DVD's, as well as a load of free downloadable resources. There are also parent 'training' courses which might suit you which the NAS provide. They also have a chat forum.

My DS has just been diagnosed with ASD (he's 5) and Mumsnet has been a great place for good, honest advice from mums who know.

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 14:58:32

NAS doesn't really do it go me, but I like these guys take on things

www.aspiesforfreedom.com/

So fiesty and in your face. Obviously they are American so no good for play groups etc though!

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 15:10:04

The film about the twins is called "Miracle Run".

I should add a disclaimer that I watched it years before I had any children with sn, but would like to see it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now