Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

queation about carers allowance and tax credits.

(7 Posts)
Crawling Fri 12-Apr-13 06:25:16

If you have two dc on MRC or above can you claim carers allowance twice? Also will it up your tax credits further if you have two disabled dc?

Nat38 Fri 12-Apr-13 07:53:30

Hi
You can only claim 1 Carers Allowance each, that means you can claim one CA & your husband/partner can claim one CA. One child each-2 carers in your house!!
Thats what me & my ex did!!
Hope this helps!!smile

Crawling Fri 12-Apr-13 08:12:17

Thank you dp works so its just me seems silly that one person cant claim for both I mean your still caring for two people. Did your tax credits go up again when your second dc started recieving dla?

lougle Fri 12-Apr-13 08:28:32

Hi Crawling, you can only claim CA once. If your DH meets the criteria, he could claim CA also, but if he earns more than £100 per week after deductions he won't get it.

If your DD gets highrate care she will get a disabled child premium and severely disabled child premium on the tax credit award. It is subject to income tapering, though, so it will be reduced according to your family income. You must inform tax credits, they won't be informed by DWP.

If you get housing benefit, you must declare both the DLA and the CA to the council. The DLA will be listed but disregarded as income, but it will give you a disabled child premium. The carers allowance will reduce your award, but you'll be given a carer's premium to negate the reduction slightly.

Crawling Fri 12-Apr-13 08:59:23

Thanks Lougle.

Nat38 Fri 12-Apr-13 09:33:44

Yes, my tax credits did go up when my DD`s started to get DLA.
Also have you heard about Take A Break & The Family Fund??
Take a Break gives you money to have a holiday/short break with the children you apply for & who qualify-you need a form for each of them!
The Family Fund you can use that for all sorts if you qualify-a computer, washing machine, holiday, driving lessons all sorts of stuff!!

Crawling Fri 12-Apr-13 10:59:15

Thanks Nat I have heard about family fund but ill try take a break too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now