Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any one had these bloods done before??

(9 Posts)
bizzey Tue 09-Apr-13 14:54:08

We saw ds3 comm pead last weekfor a 2nd review....She is requesting the following test to be done via the other pead who will be doing his own blood tests ..so it can all be done at the same time .....

B12
ammio acids
creatine
very long chain fatty acids
copper level
Biotinidase and urinary organic acids
heparan sulfate

This list is in my letter that i have recieved but she did not mention all of these to me in the appointment...so can /couldn't ask what they were for

Any thing familiar to any one ??

Thanks!

123abby Tue 09-Apr-13 15:04:03

Hi,

I can say for certain my son has been tested for some of these, perhaps all, it wasn't written a letter, just said verbally to me when they said about testing him. For my sons case, I was told they were tested this because abnormalities in any one of these areas being tested could cause/explain the reason for a learning disability. I think they don't mention them because its a routine thing and more often than not, it comes back fine.

bizzey Tue 09-Apr-13 15:17:31

Thanks 123...yes it is investigating his "learning problems"..among other things..so I presume /hoping..we are in the "eliminating" stage ?!

He is going for a MRI as well...not complaning...but she is very through and I seem to have a bit of brain block at the moment as he is under so many people !

salondon Tue 09-Apr-13 15:32:30

We had some of these last year(she was 2.5 that time). I dont remember all their names and I can dig them up for you. She also had an MRI and urine test at the same time.

lougle Tue 09-Apr-13 15:55:02

Yes, DD1 had all of these tests. They generally use process elimination. What's the most common cause/simplest cause of learning difficulties? Test for those.

bizzey Tue 09-Apr-13 16:32:22

Thank you salondon and Lougle for taking the time to reply ...as I think I might have said on a previous thread of mine ?(or a reply ...or knowing me a hi jack of someone elses thread blushgrin)...I was expecting the amino acids ...just not all the others

Did either of you get "positive"(if thats the right way to say it) results that were acted on and helped ?

Thanks again!

salondon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:53:31

No we didn't get any

salondon Tue 09-Apr-13 20:54:02

No we didn't get any results out of range.

123abby Tue 09-Apr-13 20:58:48

My son also went for an MRI, was meant to get a urine sample but this was too difficult. One of our results came back abnormal but not enough to cause his learning difficulties, we have had the test redone again and were awaiting the results, been 2 months now and waiting still!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now