Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd2s low immune system

(14 Posts)
autumnsmum Tue 09-Apr-13 08:34:41

Hello everyone I posted about wondering if dd2 has a lactose intolerance and it turned out she had tonsillitis . I have posted about this before but she seems to have an incredibly weak immune system in addition to her autism . Since October she has been constantly ill with chest infections, flu , vomiting and now tonsillitis with vomiting . Has anyone any experience of an immunologist and if there is anything that can be done to help as I am going out of my head with worry

2old2beamum Tue 09-Apr-13 10:49:20

Hi my DD 7 has Emanuel Syndrome and while having a colostomy it was suggested she may have an auto immune problem as she has constant diarrhoea snotty nose urine infections.
Tests were done which came back positive I think it was her IGa that was low and we were referred to GOSH. She now has weekly subcutaneous infusions which I can do myself
BTW I had been banging on about her immune system but was ignored now there is a surprise

Badvoc Tue 09-Apr-13 11:01:04

Is she/can she take any vits/supplements.
My ds takes omega oil and zinc and magnesium.
Does she eat lots of carbs?
Try a more protein based diet if poss.

autumnsmum Tue 09-Apr-13 11:13:28

Thanks everyone my dds eating habits are very carb heavy I'm going to get her some liquid vits

Ineedmorepatience Tue 09-Apr-13 11:22:01

We managed to hide vitamin drops in Dd3's orange juice for ages before she said it tasted funny. Yoghurt is a good place to hide stuff too smile

Badvoc Tue 09-Apr-13 11:22:27

Ah.
That could be an issue.
It was for ds certainly.
Easy protein meals we do are beams in twist, omelette, cheesy muffins, bacon, sausages.
Also pancakes as a treat nice a week smile
She could have carbs but just make sure she has protein first.
I use vegepa chewables and mag and zinc from holland and barrat.

zumbaleena Tue 09-Apr-13 12:43:14

hi autumns mum....sme of the latest scientific research shows all asd kids have very low immune systems. them need to be investigated for vitanmin, mineral and heavy metals toxicity and once you have the results, those in shortage need to be supplemented. pls pm if you want more details

googlyeyes Tue 09-Apr-13 12:52:46

Not all asd kids. My ds1 is very rarely ill, much less so than his NT brother and sister.

Touch wood!

JamMac Tue 09-Apr-13 21:25:21

Hi. This is common with ASD. I don't know why. Our son was helped in two significant ways -- First, we have him under the care of Mr. Tettenbourne, a consultant paed. who has many "recovered" ASD kids under his care. He can help with many recs. to improve immune system response. We also got an AMAZING improvement by implementing the SCD Diet (while maintaining gluten/dairy free diet). I am super-sceptical when it comes to biomedical approaches to treating autism, but I can honestly say following Dr. Tettenbourne's recs and the SCD diet have made a huge difference. Our son's immune system is so much better; digestive issues are resolved and self stimulatory behaviours are virtually non-existent. Oh yes, asthma has resolved as well. We also do a full time ABA programme, but both my husband and I feel that implementing the SCD and working with Dr. Tettenbourne helped us get the physical side of things resolved so that our son could recover.

thriftychic Thu 11-Apr-13 14:47:10

thats interesting , ds2 was found to have a low immune system age 3 , he had lower than normal levels of immunoglobulins and some of his vaccinations hadnt had the desired effect. he was doagnosed asd age 13.
he was given some extra vaccinations for pnuemonia etc and kept a check on but that was about it .
i always give him those bi-muno powders in his drinks (tasteless) and minadex tonic during the winter seems to help .

autumnsmum Thu 11-Apr-13 18:21:29

Thank you everyone for your advice .I am going to start dd on vitamins and I phoned the CDC to ask for an appt with a paed to check her immune system . They later left a message discussing immunisations !

Mckenngp1 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:39:55

Interesting thread. My dd is 7 with asd, she is constantly ill over winter with recurrent coughs, flu, sore throats, ears. My theory has always been that stress lowers the immune system ( something about cortisol stopping production of lymphocytes) and as dd is often anxious this just makes sense to me. I do give her multi vitamins and omegas every day as she just gags on all meat and has limited diet.

fasparent Thu 11-Apr-13 22:22:54

Hi Our DD has congenital heart problem infections can be a big problem
we keep her drug free except for Omega 3 and Multi vits. been doing this from birth weighed in at 1lb 2oz . Only has antibiotics if has too go too dentist . one special dose a day before a visit or before any operations etc. can not have any thing with alcohol base , leaves little choice . All is working well , think we are just lucky.

lougle Thu 11-Apr-13 22:50:54

DD1 was terribly low last year, infection after infection. Her attendance dropped to something approaching 30%.

This year she's been so much better, but has dipped in the last 3-4 weeks.

She had low IgA picked up through a blood test.

Her illnesses culminated in periorbital cellulitis, for which she had IV antibiotics. As soon as she had those, she became well and stayed well confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now