Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do you move abroad when you have dc with SN? re. language and schools??

(4 Posts)
redhappy Mon 08-Apr-13 13:15:49

Would love to move abroad, looking specifically at Spain. Just at the daydreaming stage, and finding it impossible to imagine how it could move beyond a daydream.

Have ds with asd, he is 6, and Nt dd who is 5.

I'm people must have to move for various reasons, so it must be possible, I'm just wondering how you do it? Ds has speech delay and language processing difficulties, so moving to a country where he would need to learn another language seems cruel!

I'm sorry if this seems like a trivial problem, and I should be grateful how well he is doing now. Maybe it's just that niggling feeling I get occasionally, the life we would be living without autism, and the need to follow it through in my mind at least, even if it can't be done in reality.

samira837 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:00:16

Hi I think u and me are in the same Place!! My ds 5 have asd and I want to move bk to Sweden this summer problem is that he have just started to speak!! Don't know how he will take to start speaking Swedish?!!

Rainbowlily Tue 09-Apr-13 09:13:51

My DS is 9 and has asd. We moved to Sweden when he was 7 and managed to get him a place in a school which had separate classes for children with autism. The school is fantastic and he has really improved. He didn't know any Swedish when we moved and now speaks fluently.

We were really worried about moving here and decided we would only do it if ds was offered a place at this particular school. We flew out to Sweden several times to have meetings with the various organisations who could offer support. If you want to try and make moving to Spain a reality start doing loads of research. If we had found the support here not very good then there is no way we would have ended up here. Luckily the support is far superior to anything we received in the UK and I'm so glad we did moved.

samira837 Thu 11-Apr-13 00:07:30

Hi can I ask where in Sweden u moved?! Don't know who I should contact as we are moving over the summer and schools are closed then!!?? Can u give me some tips?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now