Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Impulsive behaviour - what do you do about it?

(16 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Sun 07-Apr-13 17:01:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HotheadPaisan Sun 07-Apr-13 17:03:04

Walter4 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:21:31

Hi hothead, my son has the same diagnosis as yours, he's nearly 5. What sort of impulsive behaviour do you mean?

HotheadPaisan Sun 07-Apr-13 17:29:22

Walter4 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:48:08

My son seems to have been like this from day one! However I am aware that most with PDA are quite passive when younger. My sons hitting is aimed at us and he can switch from one state to another instantly...I do think its all to do with his background anxiety and not really to do with what's happened at that moment.

I think its all about keeping that anxiety as low as possible, we try to react as little as possible and distract, but as you say it's not always possible to watch them every second.I have also heard about 7 is a tough age with PDA as demands at school increase and peer relationships are more complex.
We try to get our son outside doing something physical twice a day, I notice the difference if we don't do this....oh and I never ever let him be hungry, or not have enough sleep!!
Those are the things I know are triggers and the only things I know I can quite easily deal with.
Sometimes everyday seems like Groundhog here, I just keep trying, there's not much choice really! smile

HotheadPaisan Sun 07-Apr-13 20:27:40

Walter4 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:05:30

Oh I know what you mean! We used to do loads of sensory stuff too, it I'm when they are 2/3 but my sons too big now too. My son is very into role play and loves to go outside and to the park but we always have to make it sound great! Or if its his idea then that's ok too, we are always needed to play football ( exactly as he tell us !!) or be some other character he wants us to be. I'm hoping he won't decide he won't go out, but know this could happen as he gets older too.
Has he got worse at school too? Or just at home? Is he ok playing with other children?

HotheadPaisan Sun 07-Apr-13 21:29:06

Walter4 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:32:04

My DS is always playing getting someone too, if its one child then he tries to control totally. He struggles to play well and doesn't seem to ave formed friendships, he is very superficial. A friend is anyone who does as he likes really!

Can't ride a bike ,but can ride scooter. Likes to play football, with us but not with other children, it becomes competitive then and he can't cope.

Mine doesn't do board games either, or party games...wants all the parcels, hates chairs being taken away ( musical chairs)!!

HotheadPaisan Mon 08-Apr-13 07:49:41

used2bthin Mon 08-Apr-13 15:44:51

Hi my dd1 is exactly like this and often goes for her baby sister
It is really stressful and my dad was saying its compulsive which upset me as I thought we can't change it then! Her psychologist said its impulsive and she will need to learn how to control it so we are working on that and distracting before it happens( which is fine if I know it's about to happen but it's often random!)

This week has been ok but we generally get it more when things change, so first week of holidays or because school is back, that sort of thing. Going out is a major trigger, not being out but the run up to it which I find very hard and it is anxiety I am sure. We use visual aids with limited success and timers but I find I have to mix it up a lot.

I can relate to so much of what you both are saying its like reading my life! Sensory integration therapy does work for us a bit but I need to find out about doing more i think, dd refuses any wrapping up but will use her gym ball and trampoline and I can do massage on her if I am quick (this is mainly for getting her changed as she hates that-its change I guess)

HotheadPaisan Mon 08-Apr-13 22:15:59

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Mon 08-Apr-13 22:21:13

HotheadPaisan Mon 08-Apr-13 22:31:03

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Mon 08-Apr-13 22:46:17

HotheadPaisan Mon 08-Apr-13 22:50:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now