Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd3.6 has vomited yet again could it be lactose intolerance?

(16 Posts)
autumnsmum Sun 07-Apr-13 08:25:14

Hello everyone hope you and dcs are all well .My dd who is three and who has autism was up yet again in the night vomiting .This is the sixth time since nov she's been vomiting .She has been off nursery as its the holidays and neither of my other two dcs has been sick . I am wondering if it could be lactose into.erence as we had mac n cheese for dinner and last time she was sick it was made worse by milk any advice would be most welcome .Thanks in advance

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 11:10:00

The only definitive test for lactose intolerance is to go dairy free. Which is a PITA.

You wouldn't believe how many things dairy is in!

Does she have excema or asthma? This could point to an issue with dairy too - DS3's AWFUL excema disappeared when he went on a dairy free diet, and my Ex's excema comes back every time he slips up with the dairy free diet.

(DS3 is anaphylactic to dairy, so dairy free isn't a choice, but my Ex was lactose intolerant and is on a dairy free diet.)

autumnsmum Sun 07-Apr-13 13:04:36

Thank you so much for replying Couthy I know you have your hands full .My dd has ezecma on her legs and her dads family are riddled with allergies I was telling dp this morning about the seriousness of your sons allergies as I know it isn't that serious with dd . She does seem to be having stomach cramps this morning but although she is verbal describing illness or pain is beyond her I have to rely on my observation

Ineedmorepatience Sun 07-Apr-13 13:13:27

I think it might be worth doing an exclusion diet if it is a problem especially with the excema and family history.

You would need to speak to your GP first though.

The other route you could chose is allergy testing.

My Dd1 is intolerant to dairy products, she has never been tested so we dont know what she is intolerant to, the paed just told me not to give her any. She is 24 now and self regulates. She knows what upsets her and what doesnt. Her Dd is the same.

Good luck whatever you decide smile

autumnsmum Sun 07-Apr-13 14:01:35

Thank you everyone I think I will go down the exclusion diet route

Be careful you include enough fats and calcium etc. Dairy is a tricky one to exclude, unlike gluten, which isn't necessary at all. What's she like with soya?

Ineedmorepatience Sun 07-Apr-13 15:45:53

There are quite a few foods with calcium in but they maybe difficult to introduce into your Dd's diet if she is a fussy eater.

With Dd1 we found that she could cope with small amounts of dairy but if she had too much in one day it would go straight through her.

Spring water has calcium in it but you have to watch how much sodium is in it.

I definitely think you should check with your GP or get a referral to a dietician smile

autumnsmum Sun 07-Apr-13 16:18:34

Thank you everyone I am definitely going to gp as my dd has just been sick again 12 hours after the last bout . I'm really worried bout her

Ineedmorepatience Sun 07-Apr-13 16:53:16

Just wondering autumnsmum she's not worrying about something is she?

Dd3 regularly vomits due to anxiety but sometimes it is very hard to work out what she is worried about.

She also vomits through over eating and eating crap [not suggesting your Dd eats crap]. Dd3 is not able to self regulate what she is eating, she will eat cake and drink pop at parties and then come home and throw up. It happens after most parties and family get togethers even though I tell her enough.

I do think some children are more prone to puking than others but you should get her checked anyway.

salondon Sun 07-Apr-13 18:15:58

I would see the GP. If it stops then I would try dairy free. We went dairy free in Sept when my daughter kept having ear infections even after Grommtes. I personally didn't find it too hard except yogurt which we have now found a wonderful alternative too. There is enough calcium in vegetables but you can give her capsules (they open and can be added to food). Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 19:12:10

Green veg can easily make up the day's calcium requirements - a portion of broccoli has 75% of a child's RDA of calcium.

Soy milk has added calcium, as do soy yoghurts and soy based cheeses.

(Not any good for DS3, but we didn't find out about his soy allergy until about 6 weeks after he went dairy free).

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 19:12:49

Also, the Abidec vitamins from the GP / HV / Dietician contain the full RDA of calcium.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 19:13:42

But are based on peanut oil, so, again, no good for my DS3!

(Total PITA, but he loves broccoli and spinach, so he gets his calcium from that!)

Your DS loves broccoli and spinach? Is he Popeye? grin

Toni27 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:00:44

My asd son went through a stage of appearing to be intolerant to cows milk, if he drank milk or ate cheese he vomited. That started when he was 2.5 and he is now 4. He still doesn't have drinks of milk but can eat cheese no problem. I cut out rich milky things but not all dairy products. Then I reintroduced cheese very slowly after a few months, I mean one piece if grated cheese on his tea at first, now he can eat cheese sandwiches. What we did find out was that he was extremely constipated when the vomiting episodes started, he still did bits of poop, but this was overflow poop and he had impaction. He's now on movicols (laxative) and I think that made a big difference to being able to tolerate cheese. He would not drink milk out of choice now so I just don't give it to him. Interesting though, if he sees chocolate, he vomits immediately. I think this is a sensory issue however.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 22:34:46

No, not Popeye, but due to his allergies, at least 50% of his solid diet is fruit & veg!

He's never known any different, so he's happy like that. He does also have ASD related food issues too, which limit his diet even further, but they are more to do with meat...

Getting protein into him is a bloody nightmare. Hot dogs and mince are about his limits - anything more 'meat-like' than mince and he won't touch it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now