Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Twitching, nail biting and palilalia - should I seek medical advice?

(5 Posts)
treaclebeetle Thu 04-Apr-13 22:03:13

Hello, my dd is 4 soon to be 5years old, she's just started repeating what she says in a whisper to herself. In addition, she bites her nails and surrounding skin and her behavour can be erratic - and she grimaces sometimes too. I've spoken to her school teacher, but she doesn't seem to think there's anything too unusual about these things.. should I seek medical advise, I'd like to get her help if she needs it. I'm afraid, though, of labelling her with something unnecessarily, what do you think?

treaclebeetle Fri 05-Apr-13 10:12:52

bit of a bump.. anyone have similar issues? if so what did you do?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 05-Apr-13 10:28:35

My DD (now 8) had Palilalia and also nail biting...she was also selectively mute.

She moved schools at age 7 and started Juniors in a new, larger primary...her teacher thought she needed assessing as she was struggling socially though the palilalia had gone as had the nail biting...she wouldn;t join in and was always on the outskirts.

But the head teacher wanted to let her settle in...she said she'd seen "quirky" kids like DD before who were fine with the right encouragement...and one year later she is fine. She did need help socially but she took it all on board and has a good group of friends now.

No social issues at all any more and doing well academically. How is your DD doing socially and academically?

Handywoman Fri 05-Apr-13 14:29:23

My dd2 started doing this (repeating things in a whisper) aged 4. At the time she was having intensive speech and language therapy for a severe language delay. She is now 8 and has started doing it again at times. Til now I had not even known there was a word for it! I don't know what its significance is, tbh. Perhaps Moondog (who is on MNSN and is a SaLT) will see this and provide some input.

My dd2 is under assessment for ?ASD but I don't know what role the palilalia plays in this, I just always thought it was one of her quirks. Not much help there, sorry.

mrsbaffled Fri 05-Apr-13 20:48:22

Palalalia, nail biting and grimaces can all be tics. How long has she been doing it for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now