Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Supplements for speech/socially delayed toddler

(8 Posts)
MummytoMog Tue 02-Apr-13 21:12:56

DD is a bit of a enigma still - but basically has a severe speech delay (about twelve months behind, but massively improved), not very interested in other children, can be difficult to engage with, keen on spinning, hearing problems, lots of ear infections, you know, one of those little girls. Our private therapist asked abut her diet, and said that she thought DD would benefit from some kind of multivitamin supplement. She won't drink milk or eat cereal and she's not all over vegetables, so we thought why not and got some of those chewy vitamins. Started those four days ago. Today, she has been gloriously amazing. Like, proper sentences from time to time, super calm even when thwarted, entirely prepared to be distracted from something she really wanted, played a ridiculous game with me for twenty minutes and was noticeably less sensitive to sounds and textures. Could it just be a good day? Has anyone else seen an improvement from supplements to their DC's diet? Could it just be the sunlight returning ;). She is three and a half. I'd also be interested to know if anyone is giving their DC's other supplements. DD's private therapist is a darling old hippy, and wants us to try homeopathy, but other than arnica, which so damn worked on my stitches, I've never put much stock in it...

DS2 has fish oil, eye Q, but I've seen vegepa recommended as it's not fishy but also has high EPA. It took a few weeks to see any improvement as it took time to build his levels up, but his concentration definitely seemed to improve.

PrinceRogersNelson Wed 03-Apr-13 11:12:59

Hi Mummy,
We give DD vegepa fish oils. Thay are chewable and she loves them. We also give them to DS and I think we have noticed a difference in them both.

Concentration better and definitely calmer. We are following the Tinsley House programme so maybe go on to that thread and ask. Badvoc and co know all about vitamins and what to give.

HTH.

babiki Wed 03-Apr-13 11:33:53

We do fish oil, zinc, magnesium and B12.

Emily7708 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:29:00

We do zinc, magnesium, cod liver oil, Speak liquid, vitamin A, milk thistle, calcium, vitamin C, childrens metabolics. It's a lot but we are chelating at the moment. The difference in DS since starting them has been incredible.

zzzzz Wed 03-Apr-13 17:33:30

Yes. Same sort of child, same effect here.

We use abidec, Epsom salts baths and omega oils.

I'm about to try adjusting it though.

SaltedChocolate Wed 03-Apr-13 18:23:11

My kids have had fantastic results with homeopathy.

You want a Cease Therapist. Can't recommend it highly enough. It's really helped my DC.

If you can afford it, why not try it? Only way you'll know if it works for your DD or not.....

Also agree with the omega oil, zinc, magnesium and B12.

Badvoc Wed 03-Apr-13 18:45:22

Check out the tinsley house support thread x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now