Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

World Autism Awareness Day - not in the UK Media!

(14 Posts)
SallyBear Tue 02-Apr-13 10:24:39

I am cross about the paltry lack of awareness by the UK media of a subject that affects a great many of us on this board. So I wrote to Jeremy Vine (he loves a good bun fight debate), asking for it to feature in today's show. After watching the really poor attempt by itv to tackle this topic, I wanted to scream! So I keep checking my email! Why don't those of this affected by ASD also email the Jeremy Vine show. We could get it put on the agenda for today.

vine@bbc.co.uk

Dear Jeremy,

Today is World Autism Awareness Day, and sadly there seems to be a rather pathetic lack of coverage about this in the UK Media today. I have just watched a three minute slot on itv Lorraine which was sandwiched between stars skin treatment secrets and Hollywood showbiz gossip. The guests on Lorraine's show were Melanie Sykes who has a verbal Autistic 8 year old son and Mark Lever Chief Exec of the NAS. Not enough time was given to something that affects 1 in 100 people in this country (including whole families where it can affect each generation).

I am writing to ask you to give this very important topic some coverage on your show today. You have a colleague who has an autistic son, so you must know how hard it can be for these children and their families. The struggles to get a diagnosis, the traumas of getting an education, the help needed with eating, sensory issues, personal hygiene, incontinence, speech, social communication. The list can seemingly be endless. The lack of help out there is woeful. People fight to get a diagnosis which can take years, then they are left by the NHS to get on with it. Trying to take it to that next stage is unbelievably difficult as you negotiate your way through NHS and LA provision and services. It's hard.

Please, please make this a priority on your show today.

Icedcakeandflower Tue 02-Apr-13 10:39:40

Excellent letter, SallyBear. Poised over my email now grin, going, going, gone!

SallyBear Tue 02-Apr-13 10:48:27

Thank you Icedcakeandflower. I have also asked FB friends to do the same. I've probably left it too late, but the media all need a kick up the backside about ignoring these issues IMO!! grin

chocjunkie Tue 02-Apr-13 10:49:22

thanks sally - done.

really shocking that there appears to be next to nothing about WAAD in the media shock

UnChartered Tue 02-Apr-13 10:52:18

i've emailed that address too

does JV have a fb page?

SallyBear Tue 02-Apr-13 11:00:38

I looked but it didn't seem proper iyswim. He has a twitter account apparently. Not that I bother with that as I'm technically challenged at the best of times!!

Dinkysmummy Tue 02-Apr-13 11:02:48

It was on the wright show this morning, apparently the London eye among other things are going blue for world autism awareness day

UnChartered Tue 02-Apr-13 11:08:26

oohhhh, DD loves the London Eye! hope there are some good pictures later

Icedcakeandflower Tue 02-Apr-13 11:13:37

Just looked at Jeremy's twitter - apparently on the show today is "IDS.IBS.Cop.Fascists."

Wonder where WAAD will fit hmm

SallyBear Tue 02-Apr-13 11:27:15

Well then he is crap. hmm Hurrumph!

UnChartered Tue 02-Apr-13 11:28:26

well, did we need WAAD to highlight that, Sally?

wink

SallyBear Tue 02-Apr-13 11:32:51

grin Unchartered!

wasuup3000 Tue 02-Apr-13 12:27:27

Blackpool Tower is lighting up blue later as well.

Dinkysmummy Tue 02-Apr-13 12:28:52

Cool grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now