Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Build a Bear blue autism bear

(31 Posts)
sickofsocalledexperts Sun 31-Mar-13 14:13:11

Not sure if someone has posted about this already, but I feel very heartened that a mainstream shop like Build a Bear Workshop is selling a blue bear to raise money for autism research, and in honour of World Autism Day on April 2. Maybe one day the wearing of blue for World Autism Day will be as popular as red noses?

It's £15 but my boy loves his!

Ineedmorepatience Sun 31-Mar-13 14:21:40

Oh wow, how long will they be available for sick Dd3 would love one but cant get into city until Wednesday.

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 31-Mar-13 14:24:00

I am sure they will still have them wed

AmberLeaf Sun 31-Mar-13 14:27:26

We saw these, not got one yet, my son asked is the bear autistic? Then decided that he must be!

I did think only £1 from the sale price of £15 was a bit stingy for such a big company, but I suppose it is the thought that counts.

googlyeyes Sun 31-Mar-13 16:09:39

We got ours yesterday! I was strangely excited by the whole thing, although they probably could have stretched to more than £1 donation per bear. I just felt it was a pretty big step for a large chain like that to spread awareness in this way. I just hope that lots of them are bought!

DD and DS2 were thrilled and it seemed to mean so much to DD in particular to see her brother's condition recognised like this. So for that alone it was worth the £15

Btw you can buy them online if it's tricky getting to a store

MadameSin Sun 31-Mar-13 18:31:34

Saw one in there this week: www.buildabear.com/shopping/contents/content.jsp?catId=1000015&id=7600008

autumnsmum Sun 31-Mar-13 20:18:04

I got mine online it's lovely and soft

Ineedmorepatience Sun 31-Mar-13 20:33:34

Aahh, we are going to an event on tuesday, I wish Dd3 had one to take.

Never mind she has a blue top and a wristband to wearsmile

Debs75 Sun 31-Mar-13 20:44:31

I have always wanted a build a bear for DS so I will be off there soon. I hope they have them long term not just this week.

Have you seen the blue lit buildings in Australia and USA. It would be nice to see something like that over here

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 31-Mar-13 20:47:30

I think I read that the London Eye, BT Tower and other buildings are lighting up blue!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 01-Apr-13 10:32:08

I'm getting one for DS3, as my older DC's have all got build a bears, but he hasn't had one yet. I saw this in an email from them. Yes I do buy too many bears!

I will be wearing blue tomorrow, we all will be!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Mon 01-Apr-13 10:33:03

Wow! I will ask my SD if he could take a picture, he works near there!

mummytime Mon 01-Apr-13 10:41:14

Our local Cathedral is lit blue every Autism awareness day! (SE England)

raspberrytart Mon 01-Apr-13 20:13:03

Blackpool tower will be lit up blue too!

Icedcakeandflower Mon 01-Apr-13 20:54:02

Ooh, I hope the news channels will televise them!

Happy247 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:59:28

I think the bear is lovely. I am hoping to get one each for DC. We are staying near Enfield atm and wondering if there are any build a bear shops near here? I don't fancy driving into central London though!!grin wink TIA

zen1 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:16:34

Took my 4yr old DS to get one today. It was half an hour bus ride on London transport to our nearest Build a Bear Workshop, but fortunately public transport is one of the few places where DS is usually impeccably behaved (as long as he can bus-spotgrin).

Had a bit of a wobble going over the shop threshold (for some reason DS hates crossing the thresholds of shops), but once in, he found the "sound buttons" to press so was happy doing that.

One thing that made me a bit hmm though was I would have thought that the shop staff would have had some sort of memo or something about autism awareness (being as they were selling this specific bear!), but it was obvious that the person who made our bear definitely wasn't "aware", given the questions she kept firing at DS, even though it was obvious he wasn't engaging with her.

Schmedz Tue 02-Apr-13 23:11:02

My DD very excited to be going in to BaB tomorrow to buy hers and feels vey special that there is a bear 'for her'. She is very excited to tell everyone in the shop why she will be buying it too!!

YourHandInMyHand Wed 03-Apr-13 11:32:42

DS has his smile. They have been selling like hotcakes where we live! The more awareness raised the better and I agree having a highstreet shop raising awareness is a big step.

Zen I think the poor build a bear staff have to stick to their script of questions. I was in once just before xmas in a long line made up completely of adults and the bear stuffing lady STILL went through every daft question for every bear made. Oddly enough most frazzled parents didn't want to kiss the bears heart, make a wish, etc but they all still had to be asked!

zen1 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:57:23

Oh, I didn't realise that about the staff having to stick to a script, YourHand (haven't been in there before).

Still the bear is very soft (and plays Star Wars music grin)

Scottishdancer Wed 03-Apr-13 14:43:33

Ours has had to have ear defenders (headphones) as ds said if he has autism he wouldn't like loud noise, just like he doesn't.

Happy247 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:23:48

Anyone know if there is a shop near Enfield? Away from home atm and don't know if there are any shops near. Thanksgrin

YourHandInMyHand Wed 03-Apr-13 19:18:10

Zen DS's bear is also all about Star Wars. It's in a head to paw Darth Vader outfit with a red light saber. It looked all cute and fluffy until he dressed it up, now it looks like one of those bad taste bears! grin

lottieandmia Wed 03-Apr-13 20:35:28

I haven't bought one yet - I must do so. LOADS of people have bought them on the BAB Facebook page.

zen1 Wed 03-Apr-13 20:58:05

Darth Bear, eh smile? I remember those bad taste bears - my DB gave me one once as a joke, but needless to say it ended up in the charity shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now