Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Present ideas for 2 year old DS with probable autism.

(29 Posts)
JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 09:05:49

HI, it is soon my son's 2nd birthday, and I really don't know what to get him. So far he has a Thomas book and some t-shirts with pictures of cars on them.

He doesn't really play with very much, he likes cars and things with wheels but he has so much of them already. He doesn't like little people or teddys or role play toys yet.

What could I get for him? I have looked through the argos catalogue and there is literally no toy that I think he may like and play with. Also his aunties.want ideas and I dont have any.

DS has speech delay and social communication difficulties, we are waiting for ADOS in August when.He is 2 and a half

He loves running around, pushing cars around and flapping bits of paper and card in the air. He quite likes plastic pots and pans but we already have lots which were his older brothers.

Dinkysmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 09:25:32

does he have specific sensory issues?
I got dd a laser light show, a bubble machine, and lots of playdoh as she loves the feel of it.
good luck x

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sun 31-Mar-13 09:31:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 09:32:07

A bubble machine! Perfect, he loves bubbles, and bubble is actually one of his very few words. Can't believe I didn't think of that smile

Not many sensory issues I don't think, although he doesn't stop moving and walking in circles grin And he doesn't like being touched or getting his hands messy.

JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 09:33:41

He would also love a wheelbarrow maybe, he likes to push toy pushchairs around with his cars in! Think I must have him through argos with my eyes shut!

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sun 31-Mar-13 09:36:45

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sun 31-Mar-13 09:38:07

JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 09:39:27

*Autumn not August.

JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 09:43:26

Ohhh those books look good too, as does the bilibo. See there's loads of things I could get for him. And there I was thinking I would be getting him yet more cars and little else.

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sun 31-Mar-13 09:47:45

JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 09:50:44

The mega bloks look good but he won't play with them unfortunately, we have lots from elder DS but he just chucks the to the side, maybe when he is a little older he might like them though. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Dinkysmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 09:57:15

polter have I ever told you how amazing you are? I've been looking for the plastic sit in and spin thing (now I know it's bilibo) for aggeeesssss! grin thank you, thank you, thank you!

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Sun 31-Mar-13 10:10:50

Catchingmockingbirds Sun 31-Mar-13 10:23:13

Megablocks, great fun and will improve his fine motor skills too smile

Catchingmockingbirds Sun 31-Mar-13 10:24:24

Ah, just seen that he won't play with them. When my son was that age he'd only play with mega blocks or cars.

What about a train set?

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 10:33:40

Hand held bubble blower from ELC. Mine is so sturdy that it has lasted through 3 DC's, 2 of them with Autism, and is now being used by the fourth (who is also having ADOS at 2.5yo!).

I bought it when DD was 3yo, and she is now 15, so it's lasted well. They still sell the same one, too.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 10:35:26

Home Bargains have a rocker thing that is Thomas. DS3 had kittens when he saw it. I think it's under a tenner too.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 10:44:35

My DS3 also likes the Tobbles I got him for Christmas (he was 23mo at Christmas).

Tobbles video

Hand held bubble blower

The bubble blower HAS changed from the one I've got, maybe not quite as sturdy?

This is the one I've got :

Old one

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 10:53:31

I got the Tobbles from the Happy Puzzle Company - great for DC's of all ages, and lots of games geared towards dyspraxia, dyslexia etc. (No, I don't work for them, just spend rather too much money there!!)

A couple of other bits from there that are on my 'wish list' for DS3 -

Puzzle

Stacking tower

Catchingmockingbirds Sun 31-Mar-13 10:53:47

Argos sell a scented bubble blower too smile

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 11:00:12

And some from Hawkins Bazaar :

Squishy ball that DS3 loves

Weird ball that DS3 likes to lick - very tactile

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 11:03:15

Hawkin's Bazaar sell LOADS of sensory type toys. I know you say he isn't very sensory orientated - but the spinning IS sensory. And if he is still 'mouthing' things (putting toys in his mouth, licking things etc.), that's sensory seeking.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 11:06:10

I also got lots of the Happyland animals - I use them for Speech therapy and also to 'teach' him how to play. Are there any TV program's he likes? Tesco do loads of Mr Tumble toys...

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sun 31-Mar-13 11:07:52

I'd only found the Bilibo last week - it's probably going to be my next purchase!

I'm just wondering what's the maximum weight it holds, as 9yo DS2 would love one too...

JustPondering Sun 31-Mar-13 11:12:57

Wow so many suggestions grin

He does still put everything in his mouth, so does my six year old, find everything chewed to pieces in this house.

Not sure if he would play with a train track, might try him with his brothers but I suspect he would just stare at Thomas and ignore the track.

Bubble blower looks great though and also the is a colour changing torch on elc website that looks good too.

We have lots of little people animals but no luck.

Going to go look at Hawkins bazaar now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now