Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Changes to SN education explained

(15 Posts)
bochead Sat 30-Mar-13 01:57:06

Please pm me you email if you'd like a copy of the Brian Lamb ppt. presentation on the topic. Explains in layman's terms what's looming in the pipeline.

The significant things I took away from a Q&A session were that schools will increased control of funding through delegated mechanisms and that the stepped approach of school action/school action plus/statement will be removed.

Instead of school action and school action plus there will be a single less defined "schools category" which could turn into a potential limbo for many children - depending on the attitude of the individual HT. Ofstead will be taking an increasingly closer look at the progress and outcomes these children make, which will hopefully ally my fears.

LOTS of increased emphasis on outcomes for children with SN, which reflects the desires of many parents to see an increased focus on defined measurable targets and progress against them for our children. Hopefully no longer will schools be able to shrug their shoulders when a child makes no progress for years on end and force us "to accept our child's limitations".

SallyBear Sat 30-Mar-13 08:31:54

PM you Bochead. smile

Icedcakeandflower Sat 30-Mar-13 08:33:17

PM'd you too. It will be interesting to see his perspective smile

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Sat 30-Mar-13 08:35:25

Me too smile

notactuallyme Sat 30-Mar-13 08:37:42

Have a look at the dept for education page 'about the dept' then 'children and families bill'. There's a summary , draft sencop etc. All subject to change.

moondog Sat 30-Mar-13 10:27:49

The Lamb Inquiry of a few years ago is a tremendous document.
He's a good guy is Brian Lamb.
Boc, is this what you sent me today?
Haven't opened yet as email address was not familiar to me but will now.
Thanks. smile
Has it warmed up yet down there!?

bochead Sat 30-Mar-13 10:38:55

Yup this presentation is written by the Lamb himself from a he gave this weekwink.

The man deffo has his heart in the right place but Gove is another story imho.

It's still blummin' freezing.

moondog Sat 30-Mar-13 10:45:05

Here too. Thermal vest still very much in use.
I'll enjoy reading this.
I have a lot of admiration for Gove too.
He's all for accountability, outcomes and getting done what is supposed to be done.
I loathe the underhand way that self serving types like Christine Blower and the loathsome Fiona Millar have done everythnig in their power to thwart him. |With limited success, happily.

bochead Sat 30-Mar-13 10:55:10

Free schools do not have to employ qualified teachers = my view on Gove.

Inappropriatelyemployed Sat 30-Mar-13 10:59:24

How on earth can anyone admire the self-serving, prescriptive, arrogant Gove? Do you think he is really going to fight for changes that benefit the majority or create an education system that is representative or creative or that gives every child a chance?

Talk about self-serving. The man is a loathsome snob who wants to create a system in his own edcuational image - Latin, O'levels, dates and facts. Learning lists of dates is not intelligence. Even those advising him on his curriculum have condemned his conclusions.

Why mention Blower? Every single teaching union is against Gove. In fact, he has single-handedly managed to unite all teaching unions. No mean feat.

As for Fiona Millar, why criticise her? Her campaign has only ever been to keep comprehensive education and she has been a Governor for years at a school which is hugely inclusive and has written on this , raising issues from parents on this site.

Some people like grammar schools, and streaming, and caps and kilts and segregation of their children so they can feel special. Gove appeals to the Daily Mail brigade. But I wouldn't want an education system drawn up by them.

As for SEN changes, they don't even go anywhere near touching the real problems in our system. Too many people pretending they are doing a job with no measurable outcome, and no accountability. Too many others wanting a piece of that lucrative gravy train.

moondog Sat 30-Mar-13 11:30:58

I like this piece Boc
'Each service will be accountable for delivering what is set out in the local
offer and if families are unhappy with what they receive or what is available
they will be able to take this up with those services.'

Accountability is the issue.
However there are two sorts of accountability.
You can be accountable for carrying out the bureaucratic tasks and stpes you are meant to. Most people are acutely aware of this and do so as they are watching thier backs.

Then you can be accountable for delivering a service of quality and doing what is is you are meant to be doing in terms of service delivery. That's where it all falls apart.

moondog Sat 30-Mar-13 11:31:40

Where did you see Lamb speak by the way?

2old2beamum Sat 30-Mar-13 16:47:12

Ditto Inappropriatelyemployed my feelings exactly he does not care a toss

ouryve Sat 30-Mar-13 17:32:33

PM'd you, Bochead.

I know the system we have now is broken, but I can't see how these changes are going to do anything to address the real problems of inconsistency/postcode lottery etc.

post Sat 30-Mar-13 18:35:58

Me too. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now