Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP just before Tribunal

(6 Posts)
CheeseToasty Fri 29-Mar-13 21:34:01

I have recently an email inviting me in to school for an iep meeting just before tribunal date. I am worried this is to either look good or to get some information out of me to use against me. Do you think I should delay. IF we succeed they may have to rethink iep and I would like to discuss the concerns brought by the independent reports we have had done?
Thanks

Handywoman Fri 29-Mar-13 22:13:06

ooh, tricky one. not been in your situation, when is date for tribunal? is this a new IEP? I guess school feel they have to come up with a few tricks if they have been dragging their feet. But you don't want to appear obstructive. Can you have a meeting, say the bare minimum then ask for time to consider the final version (thereby delaying without appearing to hold things up?). Difficult one...others will be along who have more experience of this than me.

CheeseToasty Sat 30-Mar-13 11:55:47

The last iep was at the planning meeting when we got the final statement in October. They only did one in the last academic year (although more appeared during statutory assessment). It is two weeks before tribunal. Thanks

AgnesDiPesto Sat 30-Mar-13 14:36:49

I would go and say little
Its too late in the day to change anything
It will be after last date for evidence by the sound of it
Yes they may try and get info out of you or unnerve you
If you refuse to go it will allow them to blame you for not 'engaging', which LAs tend to do anyway so you don't want to give them ammunition

If you really don't want to go then pretend you do and then pull a sickie at the last minute - that way even if they do bring it up on the day you can say well obviously its unfortunate they only called an IEP meeting x days before tribunal and not months ago...unfortunately x was ill and there was insufficient time before today to rearrange

But don't outright refuse

Scottishdancer Sat 30-Mar-13 15:17:26

Exactly the same thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago. We were advised to go and say little, but just listen to them. As it turned out there were a lot of "target not met" which has hopefully helped our case. As others have said I would go so they can't say you are being awkward. We didn't fill in the parents comments ad we still haven't signed the final version as we are not happy with it.

CheeseToasty Sat 30-Mar-13 19:18:45

Thank you. Perhaps I can use it to our advantage hopefully. I am going to look at his last iep. I am starting to get a bit nervous about Tribunal now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now