Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

pscales and foundation phases

(8 Posts)
frodoandsam Wed 27-Mar-13 16:41:13

Hi,
Can anyone help?
My daughter is severe SEN. She is working between P8 and Level 1NC in reading.
We have just recieved her statement objectives and it says in literacy she is working on Phase 1 &2 letters and sounds.
This doesn't add up. can anyone help with this.

auntevil Wed 27-Mar-13 17:35:25

How old is your daughter?
Letters and Sounds is a literacy programme run in schools. Phase 1 and 2 sounds are the basic first letter (phase 1 is S, A, T, P, I, N) and is taught either in Nursery as sounds or Reception Year in the first term.
These sounds are needed to be able to start very simple reading - which would be a low level 1C in the National Curriculum (NC).
I think you would need to be secure at phase 1 and 2 to even begin to read, so to be working on phase 1 and 2 it is unlikely that your DD is reading.

frodoandsam Wed 27-Mar-13 18:26:52

HI,
She is 13. and in a special school. She is reading ORT level 5 and has been for about 8 months.
My confusion was, why are the school teaching her at Phases 1 & 2? which seems to be below her levels.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 27-Mar-13 18:36:03

Hi frodo I am wondering if they are checking whether she has a solid understanding of the sounds the letters make.

If she has learned to read by recognising whole words by their shape she might have trouble moving on with her reading. There is a limit to the effectivness off whole word reading, although it does have a place. Two out of my 3 Dd's taught themselves to read using whole word recognition, they both have Asd and phonics didnt float their boats at all.

Some teachers can get a bit hung up on phonics and dont see the value of whole word recognition. Imo of course.

I might be wrong but this could be the reason for the differences.

Good lucksmile

frodoandsam Wed 27-Mar-13 18:46:53

Hi,
She went to a mainstream primary for 18 months and learned Phonics there. She is very good a sounding out words she doesn't know. Her comprehension is fairly good aswell. She can snswer questions about what she has read.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 27-Mar-13 19:17:09

Hmm, not that then!

I have no other suggestions sorry, I would go in and ask or give them a ring. It is odd that she is being expected to learn something that she can already doconfused

auntevil Wed 27-Mar-13 20:51:51

If she is reading and de-coding (hearing the sounds within the words and blending them together) as you say to level 5 ORT then I would doubt she needs to go back to stage 1 or 2.
Sometimes going back to other stages such as 5/6, can consolidate learning and give renewed confidence.
I would go in and check they've got their numbers right! If they think they have, then you need to check that they've got their strategy right!

frodoandsam Wed 27-Mar-13 21:31:13

Thank you,
your replies have been helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now