Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Trikes

(49 Posts)
zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 11:50:12

Anyone with any experience of trikes for 8+ year olds, if possible cool looking but able to go over paths rather than coaster wheels is more important.

I am getting tired of dragging the young master!

Tiggles Sun 03-Mar-13 11:58:39

We have an adult version of [[ http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/ this]], which my 10year old (And DH) ride. We took it to the skate park and all the teenagers there wanted a go. So it definitely ticks the 'cool' box.

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 11:59:01

I was thinking maybe this

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ozbozz-Elektra-Hog-Trike-Kids-Large-Electra-Tricycle-LED-Lights-Boys-Girls-/400347543464?var=#vi-content

Any thoughts

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 12:00:45

zzz I have a friend with a boy who has a trike, its ace, he is 8 I think. I have her on Feb, shall message her and find out what kind it is.

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 12:01:08

And yes its cool, my boys think its ace!

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 12:03:37

Thanks 5 and little.

little gosh those look so cool! (Shows age with cringey descriptor)

www.kmxkarts.co.uk/Recumbent-Trikes/KMX-Kidz.aspx

I might see if we can rent one first though

emmetbrown Sun 03-Mar-13 12:03:40

Wow that trike on eBay does look cool!

emmetbrown Sun 03-Mar-13 12:06:00

And so does the other one! I dunno if my son would manage where the pedals are though. Hiring.one first def sounds like a good idea.

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 12:06:04

I want his brother (twin) to be a teensy bit jealous as apposed to condescending. wink

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 12:30:13

That second one looks like my friends smile

You can also get ones that are more upright and height wise like a proper bike iyswim?

lougle Sun 03-Mar-13 12:31:01

Tomcat trikes are good and can be funded

PolterGoose Sun 03-Mar-13 13:14:19

Ds has got this go cart bought second hand, it is fantastic, but not trikey. Ds is welcome to come and try it out zzzzz

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 13:23:53

thanks polt it's the turning circle the feet go through (we need big bike size really).

He can ride with stabilisers but you can't get stabilisers for big bikes and its a teasers dream, whereas the trikes look kind of hard grin.... I can't believe I said that!

PolterGoose Sun 03-Mar-13 13:28:43

I know what you mean, it needs to be the funkiest pedal vehicle ever, you should come and try it anyway, it is truly humungous.

Is 'phat' the word you're looking for or is even that passé now confused

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 15:02:54

Ooo "phat" thank you for that, Dh and I collect these terms to make our older children squirm grin

I like the look of yours, practically a Land Rover!

Tiggles Sun 03-Mar-13 16:14:39

Thanks for sorting my link!
The ones you linked to ebay, my only concern would be that as the pedals are directly onto a wheel, you may find that they are harder to pedal, and may be nigh on impossible to get up a hill.
The KMX trikes can be available to test at activity centres - they are at a couple just down the road from us (NE Wales).

SallyBear Sun 03-Mar-13 17:26:58

This is so spooky! We have just ordered (yesterday) from Amazon a trike for DS4's 6th birthday. They also do a bigger version which I've attached a link to. trike

CwtchesAndCuddles Sun 03-Mar-13 19:18:48

I've also been looking at the pedal pals drike on amazon for my 5 year old. He has just started to pedal a tike in school and the one on amazon seems great value at £109 - let us know what it is like!

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 19:24:48

Ooh sally those look good. I'm suddenly vacillating and wondering if stabilisers would be better. God I am SO indecisive.

The KMX cart looks sooooo tempting, I think we'll try and hire one and decide later.

SallyBear Sun 03-Mar-13 19:56:20

Well we have a 70's version of the Trike with pedals like a bike. Three enormous solid rubber tyres and skinny chrome brake levers. DS4 loves it, but its very heavy to pedal. DD learned to ride on it as she was very unsure of stabilisers and the old trike really gave her confidence for a bike. I hope that at £109 it is a good buy. We are really excited about it. I'm already planning trips to the park with DH running alongside and shouting "brake!!!!!!!!!!!" grin Obviously I won't be running anywhere....too unfit!

MerryCouthyMows Sun 03-Mar-13 23:21:15

'Phat' is long gone...it's all peng or reem now. Which Autocorrect wanted to change to penguin and term, so even Autocorrect isn't down wiv da kidz...

PolterGoose Sun 03-Mar-13 23:23:21

Couthy we are in the South West, it takes a while for us to catch up on the latest trends grin

zzzzz Sun 03-Mar-13 23:35:51

merry I think you need to break me in gentley, and peng and reem good? Where do these words come from? Do I wear baggy jeans and show my pants shock while I say it?

I think best just email them to Dh and revert to my swallows and amazon stage.

bochead Mon 04-Mar-13 12:30:39

Is the amazon 20" trike big enough for an 8 year old who is 135cm and growing fast do you think?

Average cost of these is £400 for 24inch wheels which is nuts. DS has a cycle saftey week in the summer term and I'm wondering if the amazon jobby will do so he ca join in with his mates, or whether to get a decathlon sports 24inch bike with stabilisers for him. (Budget won't go over £200!).

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-1-childrens-bike-black-id_8162482.html#avantages I like this model as it can easily be fitted with stabilisers but otherwise is just an ordinary bike like wot his friends have got iykwim.

haggisaggis Mon 04-Mar-13 12:51:42

Both my dc (now 10 and 13) have kmx trikes - but theirs both have gears and I'm not sure that KMX still do a kids one with gears. Note they are VERY difficult to pedal uphill (even with gears) - but are absolutely brilliant on flat! Quite fancy one myself as I hate cycling a 2 wheeler - but the fact they are so hard to keep going uphill puts me off a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now