Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Private OT that can investigate with Sensory processing disorder- oxfordshire

(9 Posts)
TICKLETUMBLE Tue 26-Feb-13 10:59:44

I have the 'out of synch child' and its been very helpful in providing lots of checklists to see what kind of sensory issues are at play which is immenseley useful, if only to be more understanding that a physical need is resulting in specific beahviour -I had lots of ' oh so that's why he does that!' moments reading that book. I am not finding the book too helpful in what to do next now that I know he had certain issues (apart form get him properly assessed) .

I am nervous about trying to introduce solutions that I think might help as I am not an qualified to determine which approach would be best.

tryingtokeepintune Tue 26-Feb-13 00:51:36

Friends of mine who live in Oxforshife used Carolyn Oates and found her very good in hassles sing and helping her dd with sensory issues. She also went into school and did assessments and recommended changes etc.

Also heard very good things about Leap.

If you put this query on the Mumsnet Oxfordshire site you may get some more geographically useful advice. Hth x

PolterGoose Mon 25-Feb-13 18:37:07

I agree mrslaughlan sensory difficulties are very complex, however, I am not talking about OP not pursuing OT, just pointing out that there are things she can do while she waits.

mrslaughan Mon 25-Feb-13 17:55:04

Yes poltergoose - but working out what your child with sensory issues "needs" I very complex.
I am intelligent, well educated but definately needed guidance of someone who was highly trained. Maybe DS isn't straightforward.... Not sure....

PolterGoose Mon 25-Feb-13 17:34:24

Our NHS OTs have been brilliant. However we had to wait a year.

You could make a start by getting 'The Out of Sync Child' book which has information and activities. Most OT interventions are very low-tech and easy to do at home.

kyz1981 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:26:41

Not sure how to post links but you should be able to cut and paste.

kyz1981 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:25:41

If you can get to Bucks- I use Leap children's therapy they are great and have helped my DS a lot -or this is a good way to find them The following list is SI trained OTs on the OT website


I would contact the ones near you and try to find one who is trained in SI up to level 4, that's the most highly trained therapists - Hope that helps.

TICKLETUMBLE Mon 25-Feb-13 15:57:12

Have a referral to Community paed, but fear it may be a very slow process....looking at speeding up our understanding of what the issues are for DS.

thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now