Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

statutory assessment?

(25 Posts)
Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 21:20:36

Thanks starlight you rock youve given me lots of good advice thank you.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 09-Feb-13 21:11:51

Yes, but there's no quick fix and your need your energy as it is a long ole road.

It might help to put any quotes that gave you hope or the impression that the unit was on its way, in writing to the person who said it, so that they know a)you are recording what they say, and b)you are collecting evidence to support what you want and c)you get a written response refuting your 'recollection' and give you some clarity.

Good luck Dame

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 20:46:47

Thank you im calmer now its hard to stay objective when its your beautiful child.

DameMargotFountain Sat 09-Feb-13 20:42:44

Star school had to invite outreach in, they are demonstrating that DD needs support

we are playing this one very slowly, this is her 2nd school, she's only in Y1

soverytiredofthis Sat 09-Feb-13 20:39:47

Crawling, sorry to hear you are having a hard time with this sad

Hope you get on well on Monday. Be clear, you want to start statement process. When I did it, I included recent reports from SALT, Portage and Community Paediatrician, although they will give more recent reports during process. I was told by portage that it would help and it obviously has in our case.

We all have our issues and sometimes as Starlight has said you need to speak to another parent. I'm having issues re special needs equipment for home and (going off topic) spoke to another parent about getting OT to pull her finger out just today.

This world is hard to negotiate and the professionals don't always offer assistance !!

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 09-Feb-13 20:27:39

There's really no point in being angry. What would happen to their budget if they went around telling parents to get statements?

You're not the only one they will have been vague with and it isn't personal.

Anger does nothing. Just crack on wiser and test your information on here now and then.

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 20:10:23

Soverytired thank you I will call her Monday.

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 20:06:44

Thank you so so much star Im absolutly livid with dd HCP I have asked portage worker countless of times how I get dd in a special unit and I have asked ed pych and they never told me I needed this.

I am so angry I have been begging and pleading for information and I was under the impression that the ed pych decided who got what help. Im so angry im crying thank you mnet I wouldnt have known anything about this if it were not for you.

I have been trying to get this forr dd since September when school said they couldnt meet her needs.

soverytiredofthis Sat 09-Feb-13 20:02:29

Give portage a ring, I'm sure they would not mind and speak to the person who comes to help you. They will then know when you see them next time that you are wanting to start statement process and should come prepared to help.

We just got our draft statement through and now need to go through this.

Hope this all helps smile

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 09-Feb-13 19:39:28

make absolutely CERTAIN that you get a letter from the school detailing that they can't meet her needs and why.

That will help you enormously. If they backtrack, pretend you have understood that they can meet her needs and start to talk about her induction.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 09-Feb-13 19:38:04

'Is my dd likely to get more support if I apply for a statutory assessment then? what are the benefits?'

Well, it means that her support will be protected by law. Unfortunately it is hard to know if a school breaks the law, but in principle at least it is a safer scenario.

The main reason people usually want statements is because it is near impossible to get anything other than a mainstream school without one, or even guaranteed 1:1 support IN a mainstream classroom.

Even if your child NEEDS a unit, she will be competing with children who have statements that SAY that, which is law. It is extremely likely that more children have statements that SAY they need that kind of provision than there are spaces available, and so the overspill will be funded in independent placements. If a space becomes available, the LA would prefer to give it to a child about to go into an independent placement, who has a statement, than to a child without a statement iyswim.

It shouldn't work like that. But it does.

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 19:34:11

Thanks soverytired I had no idea I needed to do this sad I wont see portage for a week but school have told me they dont feel they can meet dds needs so will a letter from them be useful in addition to the portage letter?

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 09-Feb-13 19:34:06

'outreach do observations'

What is the point of that? I observe Strictly Come Dancing ocassionally. I'd be very surprised if my doing that changed the way the people danced.

soverytiredofthis Sat 09-Feb-13 19:29:50

That's how we started Lougle. Portage helped by providing the backbones of the letter and it basically just said we are requesting statement. We included evidence.

If you have portage then ask them for their help. If not phone up Parent Partnership - link here -

They will be happy to help and answer any q's especially about statement and special units.

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 19:27:17

Thank you Lougle I will apply now.

lougle Sat 09-Feb-13 19:25:12

The vast majority of 'units' require a Statement of Educational Need to access them.

By law, the LA has to tell you if they are considering a Statutory Assessment and ask you for your views. The fact that they haven't done this means that your DD is not due to be assessed.

You can apply for SA yourself. It's very simple. Just write a letter to the LA SEN Officer, stating that you'd like a Statutory Assessment for your DD and why. There are model letters on IPSEA website.

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 19:21:26

Mark away there is sooo much you need to know about sn its a minefield and its hard to know what to do for the best I just want my dd to go to a special unit and I dont know the best way to get it.

soverytiredofthis Sat 09-Feb-13 19:18:58

We asked for statement as we want our DD to go to special needs school down the road as she has medical needs as well as developmental delays and thought this school best.

Ed psych agreed as well as other professionals so it was the best choice for us.

soverytiredofthis Sat 09-Feb-13 19:16:55

We had ed psych visit at home and then at pre-school setting. This first visit was on request from portage as we knew that we would be asking for statement process to start.

When ed psych visited in pre school setting this was done as we had personally requested statement process to be started and so she did this with a view to report.

Phone up ed psych and ask why she needs to see in playgroup, I'm sure she will not mind telling you who has requested visits.

DameMargotFountain Sat 09-Feb-13 19:15:50

marking my place - hope you don't mind, Crawling

we are going to apply for SA - DD isn't on any support system officially, but has had autism outreach do observations


Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 19:09:59

Is my dd likely to get more support if I apply for a statutory assessment then? what are the benefits?

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 19:09:23

Is my dd likely to get more support if I apply for a statutory assessment then? what are the benefits?

isthatallyouvegot Sat 09-Feb-13 18:54:47

I would second that my Ds had gone from school action to school action plus over 3 years and I only found out about it a few months back by accident confused, I didn't even know he was on the sen register or what that was until I educated myself, yet it was something I would of had to sign permission for so even more confused.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 09-Feb-13 18:37:32

No. If it was, you would have a letter telling you that it was being done - from the LA.

However, it is probable that your dd is now on SA+ given she has an outside visitor, but schools can be a bit rubbish about telling you these things.

Crawling Sat 09-Feb-13 18:03:19

Can I ask is it already being done for dd? She has had a home visit of ed pysch and the ed pysch is going to visit her in playgroup to decide what sort of needs she will have for school. Is this part of the statutory assesment or is it something else?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: