Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Inspired by lougle's decisive action...

(46 Posts)
PolterGoose Wed 30-Jan-13 14:25:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sat 02-Feb-13 16:25:31

Well it will make you totally exhausted, but if they really won't help, could he come home for lunch?

I really don't see why he can't sit and read a book somewhere. Surely the price of a few bean bags and a pile of books is easier than a stressed sad little boy all afternoon. Why do they all need to relax in the same way? Why?

PolterGoose Sat 02-Feb-13 15:20:41

Ilisten2theradio Sat 02-Feb-13 14:45:44

Yes and it was according to a timetable so that he always knew which thing he would be doing on which day. I also forgot to add that one break was him learning touch typing as his handwriting is appalling so that they could sometimes let him do extended pieces of literacy on the computer.

zzzzz Sat 02-Feb-13 14:40:40

He has 1.1 at play times anyway!!! polt this is totally outrageous if that's the case. The lazy so and so's. angry

PolterGoose Sat 02-Feb-13 14:38:34

Ilisten2theradio Sat 02-Feb-13 14:19:16

Ok, so after lots of me arguing discussions with promary school and lots of trial and error, what finally worked with DS in case it gives you some ideas was

TA or teacher out to supervise and help one or two breaks,
A lunchtime in the computer room ( all year groups were allowed a day a week, and they made sure DS could always be included in theirs) a lunchtime of social skills group - samll no of children eat lunch and talked/played games led by his TA
Another day where children needing some additional help plus some others chosen by them played co-operative team games of choice ( often basketball, cricket, games made up by the games teachers)

The school finally changed the rules so that the juniors were allowed to take books out at breaktimes.

Another lunch with one of the PE teachers who had lunch with DS then got a group of children together to play games - soemtimes playground ones, sometimes board games indoors.

They also did the transition thing 5 mins before the end of play he was allowed in to talk to the TA about anything he needed to get out of his system ready for the next lesson.

zzzzz Sat 02-Feb-13 01:14:35

Presumabley in the summer he can sit on the grass and read/poke the grass, so the problem is really the cold. I can't imagine why school wouldn't encourage this, staff rooms are full of teachers scoffing choc and reading magazines for a little down time.

PolterGoose Fri 01-Feb-13 20:41:26

zzzzz Fri 01-Feb-13 20:15:22

Why aren't the children allowed to read a book during break? hmm

PolterGoose Fri 01-Feb-13 18:51:57

OneInEight Fri 01-Feb-13 18:43:32

ds2 was discovered today reading in the boys toilets instead of going in the playground as he only wants to be by himself too. Apparently, it is the fourth time he has done it this term without being caught.

PolterGoose Fri 01-Feb-13 18:30:25

Ilisten2theradio Fri 01-Feb-13 18:08:46

I know schools can be "unhelpful" - but after your comment on the Friday Fred, I wondered if you had spoken to them about letting your DS come in from breaks 5 mins early?
This worked really well for my DS. He could get out any issues about playtime ( there were often loads!) and was in a better frame of mind to start the next lesson.
They really need to learn about transitions don't they?

zzzzz Fri 01-Feb-13 15:23:56

All quiet here smile.

I feel exhausted.

PolterGoose Fri 01-Feb-13 12:37:46

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 01-Feb-13 12:22:55

Hope the meeting goes well. Polter

zzzzz How is Dd today.

PolterGoose Thu 31-Jan-13 18:09:47

zzzzz Thu 31-Jan-13 17:48:39

I just don't know polt

PolterGoose Thu 31-Jan-13 17:40:25

zzzzz Thu 31-Jan-13 17:30:59

Stroppy. Challenging.

PolterGoose Thu 31-Jan-13 17:20:32

zzzzz Thu 31-Jan-13 17:05:08

Oh polt I feel like a heel not to have been around. School are being confusing and to add to the ahhhhhb dd3 was sent home today looking a little seizurish. I am terrified.

PolterGoose Thu 31-Jan-13 15:56:15

zumbaleena Thu 31-Jan-13 10:55:50

Good stuff

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 31-Jan-13 10:06:47

Excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now