Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA - I have to fill the dreaded forms in again

(42 Posts)
Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 12:50:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reiver Sat 22-Apr-06 16:08:03

I don't really know! I'm in exactly the same position with an October award finish so I'm expecting the forms and interested to hear yours have arrived.
I was intending to do it as soon as possible. I know it takes a while to complete (!!) and I wanted to get the supporting evidence & necessary signatures before schools break up or people start disappearing on holiday as I know it then takes many weeks to process.
However, as it was awarded until a certain date I wouldn't have thought they would change it until that date unless things are significantly different. Are you expecting a change in levels or just put off by all the horror stories you've read perhaps?

misdee Sat 22-Apr-06 16:10:14

if they change the level of award they do it as soon as they decide what level u get. dd2 award was due to finish in may,they turned her down so her last payment was in march. we are going for reconsideration.

reiver Sat 22-Apr-06 16:14:39

Thanks for the info, misdee. They don't make life any easier for you do they? Good luck with the appeal.

waterfalls Sat 22-Apr-06 16:21:40

No, my sister filled hers in 6 months early, she had a letter to say she was no longer entitled and payments would stop, but not untill the original date of renewal.

Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 16:26:07

MABS Sat 22-Apr-06 17:21:43

and I also have an October award finish, i suppose i'll get the forms soon. God, i dread it all.

Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 17:42:55

MABS Sat 22-Apr-06 18:25:27

I blanked ot the whole experience before 3 yrs ago, and threw away copies, so will really have to start again!

misdee Sat 22-Apr-06 18:28:17

we will have to re-do peters DLA when he gets out of hospital. I will ask for his doctor to sign the red form, so i dont have to fill it all in again.

Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 18:42:32

misdee Sat 22-Apr-06 18:46:44

for dd2, i have a few days to get letters together to send off for reconsideration. if she gets turned down again then we will appeal.

Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 18:50:09

Chocol8 Sat 22-Apr-06 18:56:17

Maybe a small spark of hope in the hell that is DLA forms - I filled in ds's forms which took me 6 months. DLA was about to finish in April, and I sent my forms in mid March.

On Wednesday, I heard that he has been awarded middle rate care and lower rate mobility, which he was getting before...I was surprised after the struggle the first time and going to reconsideration and also at hearing so soon!

I put on the form that it has taken me many months to complete them as I am constantly involved with ds and also due to illness.

Even knowing those sodding forms were in the house was stressful, I wish all of you luck with yours.

Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 19:04:17

stapo1 Sat 22-Apr-06 22:33:07

Don't know if you have tried their services before but I took our DLA forms to our local Disability Advice Centre.
I had a 2 hour appnt with their man. I explaned ds difficulties & dx & he translated it into the right words. Not sure if it has worked as DWP still considering application but the DAC have said they would hope we would qualify for higher rate mobility & a care eliment & if we don't get it they will help us through the appeal process. So fingers crossed.

Socci Sat 22-Apr-06 22:34:12

Chocol8 Sun 23-Apr-06 09:35:12

Cor, that sounds good Stapo, let us know how it goes.

Socci - I filled in the forms myself with a bit of help from my ex dp who has AS knowledge. The forms took ages so I did it in stages, the easy stuff first - and I wrote rough notes first.

I kept on using ds's name instead of "he does this.." which is a tip I got from MN. I don't think I used many buzzwords though.

On the blank page where you put stuff you haven't had the chance to put info in the form, I wrote loads. I made it very legible and wrote in small caps to make it easier to read. As for the professional who did the statement at the back, I asked his playtherapist from CAMHS and he said that ds "needs intensive support at home and school" which is maybe what swung it?

Looking back on the forms, I did repeat myself in slightly different ways where I needed to reinforce the message.

I kept a photocopy of the forms incase I needed (and expected) to go to reconsideration like last time.

Is it not easier to get it the second time round?

Socci Sun 23-Apr-06 09:45:03

Chocol8 Sun 23-Apr-06 09:52:43

Socci - ds was awarded middle rate care and lower rate mobility as last time. He did have a dx when I first applied though.

There is a lot of help on MN - maybe subconsciously I used what I have read in the past on the DLA threads.

If you would like me to send a copy of my copy of the forms, then feel free to CAT me. 2 MNs sent me copies of their forms the first time round and it helped to see what they had written.

Socci Sun 23-Apr-06 10:00:03

MABS Sun 23-Apr-06 16:41:54

a lovely offer - many thanks

desperateSCOUSEwife Sun 23-Apr-06 16:49:32

dont know the score socci
but wishing you the best of luck
xxx

Socci Sun 23-Apr-06 17:25:52

reiver Sun 23-Apr-06 21:26:44

I know this has been said on another thread before but perhaps worth repeating ..........

There is a step by step guide to claiming DLA for parents & carers published by Cerebra. You can download it from the site www.cerebra.org.uk (must learn to do links) or ask them to send a copy - again see website.

Mine arrived within a couple of days and the compliment slip even gave a telephone number if I needed any further assistance.

It takes you through each stage and every single question with examples and suggestions of what you should include plus extra info on supporting evidence and so on.

Looks really useful for any child who has a brain related condition which they suggest means conditions such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autistic spectrum disorders, learning difficulties, head injury, genetic syndromes, AD(H)D, degenerative diseases, behavioural & emotional problems or developmental delay.

I certainly would recommend getting hold of a copy if you're about to embark on the forms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: