Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA, CA, CTC and IS question please?

(10 Posts)
akaemmafrost Sat 19-Jan-13 18:28:57

Ds's DLA has been renewed (thank goodness!) and we know recieve higher rate care and lower rate mobility. I also recieve Carers Allowance and Child Tax Credits with the high rate disability component. Just to let you know my situation.

I have just done the Benefits Calculator, which tells me I should also be claiming income support too? Is this correct? Would it not affect my other benefits if I claim that, will something go down to accommodate the IS? I am totally confused. It tells me in black and white I am entitled to income support but really don't want to go messing around with payments if all it means is that something else is just going to go down eg Child Tax Credits.

Thanks in advance. I know I should have posted in SN Financial and Legal but there is not much traffic there. Also seem unable to get a straight answer out of my local benefits office, they just tell me to claim and see wht happens hmm. I want to know exactly where I stand before I do that though.

Crawling Sat 19-Jan-13 18:30:32

Do you work?

akaemmafrost Sat 19-Jan-13 18:33:56

No I am ds's carer.

akaemmafrost Sat 19-Jan-13 18:34:22

Oh and a lone parent too, if thats at all relevant.

Crawling Sat 19-Jan-13 18:41:36

Then they will pay anything on top of cares allowance I think is is about 70 a week for lone parent so they will take 58 away and give you 12 a week it wont effect your existing benefits. You can also claim housing benefit and council tax benefit without effecting your existing benefits.

akaemmafrost Sat 19-Jan-13 18:45:17

Thank you so much. So it's worth claiming it then. I am just surprised that I wasn't advised to. I've been caring for ds for three years already (in respect of his SN that is, obviously been caring for him his whole life!) and no one ever said I should claim it. Pretty sure they won't be backdating for those three years either.

Crawling Sat 19-Jan-13 18:46:57

No they wont backwater its terrible how little info about benefits there are.

mynameisnowsonicthehedgehog Sat 19-Jan-13 19:03:32

Actually you will get more than £10, as with IS you get a premium for being a lone parent caring for a disabled child. Looking at your circumstances you will get around £45 a week IS in addition to what your receive now. So definately worth claiming.

https://www.gov.uk/income-support/what-youll-get

akaemmafrost Sat 19-Jan-13 19:08:34

Well that's fantastic news, will make a big difference to us. Feeling pretty bitter about the last three years though I must say.

Crawling Sat 19-Jan-13 19:09:23

Oh there you are thats great you should definetly claim.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: