Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

A moment of hope and happiness...

(14 Posts)
neverputasockinatoaster Wed 16-Jan-13 22:44:20

Took DS to karate tonight. He's only just started - about 5 weeks now - and he loves it. Through out the class he is so focused.
DS is 8 and has an ASC. Part and parcel of his issues are a complete lack of co ordination so for him to follow all the movements is a huge effort. I love the class but I have wondered if the group leaders are right for DS - until tonight that is.

Another boy had joined and it was a merit night so they were all being judged on their movements. The class teacher put DS and the other new little boy into a group and assigned a very small, wiry and totally focused young man to teach them. This lad has stood out to me right from the start. He was absolutely fantastic with DS and really taught him the moves rather than just expecting him to copy. By then end of the session DS had got almost all the movements of the kata sorted.

Then the class teacher came over to me and told me that the young man teaching DS also had an ASC....... And that she fully expected my DS to be like him one day - she could see his potential.

Now I know that the parents of the young man tutoring my DS today must have worked so hard with their child to allow him to achieve all he has and I just want to sort of say Thank you to them even though they are unlikely to read this.

I was also moved to tears that the karate teacher could see what I can see - that my DS is amazing and has potential in spades.

Just sharing.

NoPinkPlease Wed 16-Jan-13 23:36:41

That really is fab - I hope for many experiences like that to come for all of us. Darn it there's something in my eye...

pinkorkid Thu 17-Jan-13 00:07:09

Thanks for sharing this - it really helps to see models of success further down the line for our dcs and also great to hear your ds is getting recognition of his potential. smile

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 17-Jan-13 00:07:13

That's really great. It is so good when other people see our Dcs potential instead of assuming that they have an ASC so won't be able to do x,y,z.

coff33pot Thu 17-Jan-13 01:52:04

<sniffs> thanks for sharing this. Its just lovely and sounds like he has found his niche smile

troutsprout Thu 17-Jan-13 05:35:15

Aww ... << blinks rapidly>>
smile

PolterGoose Thu 17-Jan-13 08:09:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Handywoman Thu 17-Jan-13 08:22:17

Oh, that is beautiful <feels warmth and dampness in the eyes>

zzzzz Thu 17-Jan-13 10:01:25

Does anyone wonder if there is going to be rush on karate lessons?

That is what we want it to be like! Yeeeeeeeeha!

2018 newspapers are reporting large numbers of ninja, making their way across the land. They move in formation occasionally making small honking sounds. In their wake a trail of carrots litter the land, mysteriously on the doorsteps of senco's, HT, and HV. Scientist are yet to discover the aime of this happy band, but are amazed at their general wel being, confidence and kindness. Perhaps they will change the world.

Honk honk

DameMargotFountain Thu 17-Jan-13 10:06:03

never

that's fantastic, i love reading the positive stories about our DCs - thanks so much for sharing with us

honk honk honk for DS!!!!

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Thu 17-Jan-13 11:31:33

How lovely. smile Looking forward to the band of carrot wielding, triangular formation, honking ninjas. grin

imogengladhart Thu 17-Jan-13 11:41:57

lougle Thu 17-Jan-13 12:17:53

That's fabulous!

merlincat Thu 17-Jan-13 12:46:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now