Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Who gives Dx for what?

(8 Posts)
ponderpondering Wed 16-Jan-13 09:24:00

Just that really, Who should be approached for what Dx? camhs?Peadiatrician? thank you

SallyBear Wed 16-Jan-13 10:26:20

What dx in particular are you looking for?

LIZS Wed 16-Jan-13 10:30:48

Paed will usually make referrals for assessment.

Crawling Wed 16-Jan-13 10:33:59

Dd needs 4 of different specialists SALT, pead, ed psych, CAHMS for autism. They have a meeting once a month I was told where they decide if a child has autism but the CAHMS probably has the main decision but just uses information gathered by the other three to make a decision.

troutsprout Wed 16-Jan-13 10:40:58

If you are starting from scratch I would say go to your gp in first instance.
After that it depends on where you live and what dx you mean

ponderpondering Wed 16-Jan-13 17:20:59

Thank you everybody for replying. smile Well I have been surfing the web (because my Ds was referred to CAMHS as we suspected aspergers) and I have come to the conclusion that camhs Dx - ASD etc but not dyspraxia this is Dx'd by a peadiatrician, is this correct or have I mis-read? I was just wondering if a CAMHS multi-disciplinary team would also know the signs of something other than what they Dx and refer onwards or just give no Dx and discharge? I'm pondering on it for the simple reason that after looking back over my Ds's development history and some issues he has at the moment eg can't climb - which he blames on the fact that he is scared of heights but in all honesty he has always struggled with climbing and I think he has just decided that the height is the reason, won't ride his bike which he actually wants to because he has seen other children in our street doing the same yet he will attempt once then complain it hurts his back and legs and then decide he is scared incase he falls off hmm, and other little things which have me pondering even more so now I a beginning to think it isn't aspergers.

ponderpondering Wed 16-Jan-13 17:26:15

And has anyone had any experiences with peadiatric neourologists? thank you

troutsprout Wed 16-Jan-13 18:08:35

It really does depend on your area. Ds got asd dx and dyspraxia dx both from CAMHS 5 years ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: