Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

bigger nappies

(7 Posts)
elliejjtiny Thu 10-Jan-13 21:06:13

Asking this for a friend as she doesn't use mumsnet.

Friend has a DD aged 4 who has ASD and still in nappies full time. She is currently wearing the biggest size of ASDA own brand (not sure if that is 5 or 6 as the ASDA ones give my dc nappy rash so don't use them) but is growing out of them. What should she start buying next? The continence nurse just said she wasn't entitled to free ones. She asked me but my 6 and 4 year olds just wear pull ups at night and they still fit in pampers/huggies size 6 so I haven't got a clue. I thought someone on here might know though.

2old2beamum Thu 10-Jan-13 21:16:53

Hangon our PCT supplies free nappies from the age 4. Has your friend's son got an official diagnosis?
Makes me weep son now 32 had free nappies from the age of 2. How things have changed sad

SilkStalkings Thu 10-Jan-13 21:36:51

Could always ask on the washable nappy forum? Plenty of bigger sizes there and options for custom made ones. Also there is thriving 2nd hand washable nappy market - most parenting forums have a nappy buy&sell board.

Jbmummy1620 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:48:09

My son who has ASD started getting free nappies from age 4.

If her daughter has special needs and is 4,I don't see why she wouldn't be entitled to free nappies?!

lovethesun1 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:55:23

In our area free nappies don't start until 5 & with various criteria. However there is a scheme where they do a full assessment on the family,give you points for various things (i.e family support,amount of care needed, impact on siblings etc) & under this you get more points if you are having to buy nappies beyond age 4. Dep on number of points,you get a one off payment,annually. Unless its a v large amount,which I believe is done in stages.

Sorry,that was a v long winded explanation! All I really wanted to say,was it might be worth checking with local council to see what schemes are on offer.

elliejjtiny Fri 11-Jan-13 14:29:09

Thanks. She's got an official diagnosis from community paed. She is on school action plus but has been refused a statement.

I'm not sure what age free nappies start at in our area but I think you have to meet certain criteria as well. DS2 started potty training at 4 so we didn't look into it much but I know he didn't meet the criteria (he has EDS type 3 and uses a wheelchair for distances). He is trained now but still doesn't have much time between knowing he needs to go and having to go which is tricky when youy have mobility problems and he often doesn't make it.

I'll suggest to her that she asks the council although you'd think that the continence nurse or HV would suggest something. Friend is attempting to train her DD with some success so I'm wondering if part of it is that the professionals think she should be foccussing more on getting her dry/clean in the day. She has also been refused funding for a SN buggy because she can walk very well, just not in the right direction. If it was me in charge I'd get her the buggy and all the nappies she needs.

starfishmummy Fri 11-Jan-13 15:34:48

In my area referalls for the nappy service are made by health visitors for pre schoolers or the school nurse for older children. She could maybe have a word.
There are plenty of brands available to buy on line but they are expensive.

Another suggestion is to try using Huggies dry night pyjama pants as a daytime pull up. A lot of the SN mums I know do this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now