Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Holiday to the London area during Easter break... must see/do list!

(15 Posts)
MommyUpNorth Thu 10-Jan-13 20:00:16

As the title says really. We're going to stay with family just outside of London for the 2 week Easter break. It's the first time in years that we've committed to actually going anywhere as a full family with DS. We normally do mini breaks while he's in respite.

I know each child will like different things, but does anyone highly rate any particular places? He's more sensory seeking than avoiding & would love things like (based on our Glasgow/Edinburgh trips) the Aquarium, Science Centre, anything with water, train rides, etc, etc...

We've tried zoos in the past, but there was too much walking about and not enough action.

We're taking two cars with us, so hopefully with enough adults present one of us can do DS friendly activities & one can go off with the other kids if necessary!

Also, if I need to apply for any 'carer goes free' passes in advance, that would be good to know too! smile

DS can walk, but places with good buggy ramps/lifts would be good too in case of big meltdowns!

We're hoping that if we pre-load all the visuals for places to his iPad before we go it will help with any anxiety on the day. Perhaps we'll also check out any websites nearer to the time.

I think it's us who are feeling the anxiety already rather than DS!

mymatemax Thu 10-Jan-13 20:39:26

Museums at Kensington - science museum is very hands on & room to run about. Also its very near to hyde park so if it all gets too much a big open space is just 2 mins down the road.
Boats on the serpentine & always loads going on in the park.
Worth having a look at whats on the Albert Hall, maybe a family event, ds2 loves the big space & shape of the building.

Buckingham palace & St James' park, feed the squirrels & watch the changing of the guard.

If you are OK with walking, you can walk from Hyde park to Buckingham Palace very easily.

Down the Mall from Buckingham Palace to Trafalgar Square & climb on the Lions.

Walk accross Trafalgar Square & you are in to Covent Garden, always loads going on & the transport museum is good & small enough not to take too long.

Embankment, have a quick look at Big Ben, cross Westminster Bridge.. Aquarium, London Eye, walk along a bit into Festival Hall, often have kids things going on during the holidays.

Where are you parking? If you are coming in from East/South East you can park cheaply all day at the O2 & get the river bus down the Thames going under Tower Bridge & past Tower of London.

You can also get the river bus from Westminster down to the Tower.
Grreenwich is also good.

Davros Thu 10-Jan-13 20:52:15

There is an autism friendly performance if The Lion King at the Lyceum on 14th April, is that in the holidays? It's being done with the NAS.i will cut and paste info once u can get to laptop. London Eye is very good and London transport museum in covent garden

Davros Thu 10-Jan-13 20:55:00

Oh, cutty sark!

MommyUpNorth Thu 10-Jan-13 21:21:45

Thank you both! Great suggestions! Davros, we need to leave on the 13th to get back home as school is back on the 15th. I'm sure that would have been great though!! smile

telsa Thu 10-Jan-13 22:50:35

DLR train ride down to Greenwich and then to the pretty hands on Maritime Museum, passing by Cutty Sark.

auntevil Fri 11-Jan-13 09:46:43

My Sensory seeking DS loves Namco - based in the old GLA building next to the London Aquarium (where you can get disabled access from). It's bumper cars, bowling and every type of simulator ride, shove penny type arcade game.
Look out for vouchers on Groupon London - they often have £50 of tokens for £15.
Go on TFL website and check the accessible tube stations too.

wibbleweed Fri 11-Jan-13 09:49:57

Definitely the new Emirates air-line (a cable car across the river from the O2 to docklands) - we've just been on it and it went down a treat. Great view too including Thames barrage, Canary Wharf - and loads more.

The museums can get very busy during holidays/half terms so we tend to avoid - but there are some quieter, less popular bits of both the Science and Natural History museum so it's easy to escape, so long as you can get in in the first place.

Have fun!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 11-Jan-13 10:01:44

Yes to the Cable Car. Even I was wowed and I'm a pretty boring 'meh' person.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 11-Jan-13 10:02:42

And the Royal Observatory.

I guess you'll be basing yourself in South London then.......?

Although, the South Bank is ace and there is usually a lot of free stuff in and around the Royal Festival Hall.

MommyUpNorth Fri 11-Jan-13 10:51:03

Wonderful suggestions... compiling a list to look everything up! Not limited to south London... happy to travel about! Also happy to include 'suburb' areas as we're going to be based in Kingston, so I suppose can go around London if necessary. DS totally happy travelling by any mode, hence the 'go anywhere' attitude!

Remembering way back, DH took him to the top of St Paul's (I was terrified!) and he loved that! No fear of heights I suppose! smile Also loved walking through Westminster Abbey. He's a lot louder now, so would have to make sure no services on!

Ilisten2theradio Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:24

Definately the Scinece museum - head for the children section where it is very hands on - all levers buttons and experiments for them.

The human body section in the natural history museum next door is similar.

go to them early as they get very full. Also I think you need to book the disabled parking places in advance there. they have good websites and you can find maps and things on there and plan your trip - and see what special exhibitions there will be at Easter - there is always something.

Wandering along the south bank near the Fesitval hall and London Eye is always good as there are always street entertainers to watch - and there is a playground there too.

The playground in Kensington gardens is nice if you want to take them somewhere to let off steam, ditto Kew gardens for a day out if you get nice weather.

I have never been to the London Wetlands Centre but am told it is good , and they have easter activities going on.
and this site has a lot of Easter family events in London for you to look at.

Davros Fri 11-Jan-13 20:58:57

Train from Kingston to Waterloo very quick and easy. IMAX cinema right in the doorstep in Waterloo

Tiggles Fri 11-Jan-13 21:12:46

My boys are very happy just living on the tube when we go to London...

They do also enjoy Greenwich, Science Museum, Natural History Museum, walking from Buckingham Palace down towards Westminster, Tower Of London.

We are going in February. Can't wait!
I don't know how old your DS is but there is the Harry Potter studios (we haven't been but they do carer rates).

MommyUpNorth Sat 12-Jan-13 13:28:00

IMAX sounds good as well. DS is 6... not really into any films or characters besides Mr Tumble & Elmo! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: